Best Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner!
By William | April 28, 2017
Quick Guide to the Best Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner!
7 Top-Rated Cordless Handheld Vacuums you will Absolutely Love!
A battery powered hand vacuum has become an indispensable household tool in most homes. Small messes are simply unavoidable in a busy household. But how we deal with them can mean the difference in lost time and aggravation or a quick and hassle-free cleaning task. To make your life just a little bit easier, you need the best cordless handheld vacuum cleaner available.
I have done all the legwork so you won’t have to; including testing, gathering specs and important data. I’ve separated the winners from the losers to come up with my short list of the best. You will find only top-rated products recommended here. Each of these cordless handheld vacuums will devour your everyday small messes and are ready to become your Grab & Go Buddy!
What’s In this Guide?
Contents at a Glance
- Quick Guide to the Best Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner!
- #1 Dyson V7 Trigger Cord-Free Handheld Vacuum
- #2 BLACK & DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac
- #3 BISSELL Multi Auto Lightweight Lithium Ion Cordless Car Hand Vacuum, 19851
- #4 BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser Lithium Ion Cordless Hand Vacuum 2390A
- #5 Ryobi P7131 One+ 18V Lithium Ion Battery Powered Cordless Dry Debris Hand Vacuum
- #6 Bissell 2133 Bolt Pet, Handheld Cordless Vacuum
- #7 BLACK & DECKER BDH2020FLFH MAX Lithium Flex Cordless Handheld Vacuum
- Side-by-Side Comparison
- Cordless Handheld Vacuum History!
- Features to Look for when Purchasing a Cordless Handheld Vacuum!
Top 7 Best Cordless Handheld Vacuum
I want my customers to have the best experience possible. So, I have carefully researched and reviewed dozens of cordless handheld vacuums and narrowed down my list to 7 top models. I can recommend each one with confidence.
A Side-by-Side Comparison Chart is provided below to help you decide which model best suits your needs.
#1 Dyson V7 Trigger Cord-Free Handheld Vacuum
When there’s lots of dirt on the floor you want a powerful upright corded vacuum, but most day-to-day messes are a job for a well-designed cordless vacuum.
If you’re serious about managing the inevitable every day messes around the house the Dyson V7 Trigger Cord-Free vacuum is an apex predator designed to devour dirt!
Quality and performance are the two characteristics most people associate with the name Dyson and this innovative company has set a new standard when it comes to the convenience of cordless cleaning.
Strongest Suction Available!
The Dyson V7 Trigger Cord-Free features the strongest suction of any other battery-powered vacuum currently available!
A whopping 21.6V Lithium-Ion Battery provides the V77 Trigger vac with up to 30 minutes of fade-free operation
Light-weight and ergonomically designed to make cleaning something to look forward to.
Dyson’s latest V7 digital motor is responsible for generating the amazing suction.
Mini Motorized Brush for Carpeted Stairs!
Snap on the Mini Motorized Brush and watch it gobble up embedded dirt from carpeted stairs and other and other high traffic areas.
Attach the Crevice Tool and remove crumbs and almost anything that finds its way into those tight, difficult to clean areas.
The Combination Tool lets you gently dust upholstery, drapes, and car seats without damage.
The feature you will immediately appreciate is the cleverly designed HYGIENIC Dirt Ejector that eliminates the need to reach in with your fingers to dig out dirt, hair, and other nasty debris when emptying the dirt bin.
Replaceable Battery Pack!
A built-in Lithium Battery is REPLACEABLE and provides up to 30 minutes of fade-free suction.
If you or someone in your family suffers with respiratory issues Dyson has designed the V7 Trigger handheld vac with 15 cyclones that capture fine dust and microscopic particles as small as 0.5 microns. That’s HEPA Level Filtration!
Watch this Amazing Demo VIDEO!
- No more cord to deal with
- Up to 30 minutes of fade-free suction
- Replaceable battery
- Included: Mini Motorized Tool, Crevice Tool, Combination Tool, Charger
- HEPA Level Cyclonic Filtration captures microscopic dirt particles as tiny as 0.5 microns
- Dyson proprietary V7 Digital Motor produces unsurpassed suction
- HYGIENIC Dirt Ejector drives out trapped dust and debris in single action without touching the dirt.
- Light weight at only 4 lbs
- FREE Dyson 2 Year Warranty covers parts and labor
Won’t Become Obsolete!
The huge benefit of a replaceable battery is that the V7 Trigger won’t become a useless handful of plastic after a few years when the original battery will no longer hold a charge. Simply remove two screws that allow the old battery to drop down, and then simply reverse the procedure with the new replacement battery.
The Dyson V7 Trigger Cord-Free Handheld Vacuum truly belongs at the top of your list of the best cordless handheld vacuums. It excels in deep cleaning power and overall performance and provides the versatility you would expect from a cordless hand vac.
My only criticism of this product is that it is larger than most of the leading competitor’s models and it’s a little bit heaver at 4.0 lbs. But, in my opinion, the Dyson V7 Trigger more than earns its place in the home!
#2 BLACK & DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac
Black & Decker is not a name that comes to most people’s mind when the words “vacuum cleaner” are mentioned. However B&D are currently dominating the market with an impressive array of thoughtfully designed and highly functional battery operated Vacuums.
That shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone who is familiar with the brand since they have been producing highly popular cordless hand tools since the 1970’s.
Modern Version of Famous Dust Buster Cordless Vacuum!
The BLACK & DECKER CHV1410L is their latest version of the famous “Dust Buster” first introduced in the 1980’s. It was the best cordless handheld vacuum way back then (it was the only one) and this newest design has become an Amazon #1 Best Seller among dozens of other products.
Powered by a 16V Lithium-Ion battery that will maintain a charge for up to 18 months, it delivers 15.2 Air Watts of fade-free power for 13 minutes of runtime.
Fade-Free Suction and Effective Filtration!
The BLACK and DECKER CHV1410L Dust Buster features Cyclonic technology that spins the dirt, keeping it away from the filter for No Loss Suction performance.
A Translucent Dirt Cup makes it easy to see when it’s time to empty. The Dirt Cup is easily removable for emptying and cleaning. The Filters trap fine dust and are washable.
The slim Rotating Nozzle is handy for a number of cleaning applications. One of the features I really love is the built-in Telescoping Crevice Tool. That is so handy for getting into tight places without having to stop and change attachments.
Take a Look at this Really Cool VIDEO!
- 16V Lithium-Ion Smart Charge Battery maintains charge for 18 mo’s
- Powerful 15.2 Air Watts of Fade-Free Suction and 13 min. of runtime
- Easy-Empty/Easy-Clean Dirt Cup and Filters
- Wide Nozzle to suck up large debris and Flip Up brush for upholstery and stairs
- Quick Charge Base keeps the battery charged and ready to rumble
- 2 Year Limited Warranty
The BLACK & DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster offers everything you will need in a Hand Vac: powerful cleaning performance, versatility, long battery life, light and easy to use for quick but thorough cleaning around the house.
Oh, and by the way, I own the B&D CHV1410L and use it almost every day. I love it!
Black & Decker HHVI315JO42 Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum, Flexi Blue
Black & Decker HHVI320JR02 Dustbuster Cordless Lithium Hand Vacuum
#3 BISSELL Multi Auto Lightweight Lithium Ion Cordless Car Hand Vacuum, 19851
The Bissell 19851 Multi is a powerful hand vacuum for serious cleaning from floor to ceiling.
A Professional Grade, 22V Lithium-ion interchangeable battery provides massive fade-free suction power for up to 15 minutes of runtime.
Interchangeable Battery Pack!
The Battery is interchangeable with the Bissell 1984 AirRam Cordless Vacuum Sweeper or the Bissell 2151A Multi Reach Cordless Stick Vacuum.
Teamed up with one of the fine cordless upright stick vacuums the Bissell 19851 Multi would make for a cleaning system that would enable you to conquer your entire home’s cleaning needs.
The interchangeability of the Bissell 19851 Multi makes it one of the most versatile cordless handheld models available.
Excellent for Cleaning Stairs and Upholstery!
The Bissell 19851 enables you to clean furniture and stairs with the motorized brushroll. This is one of the best cordless handheld vacs for cleaning stairs I have reviewed so far!
Simply deploy the Built-in Extension Hose for detail cleaning in small areas. An Extension Wand allows you to easily clean around the floor without having to bend over. Or, easily reach above-floor areas like ceiling fans or shades using the soft dusting brush attachment.
When you’ve finished cleaning, the Dirt Bin detaches for fast and easy emptying without the mess.
Ergonomic design and light weight at only 3.9 lbs.
Watch this Amazing Short VIDEO!
- Interchangeable 22V Lithium-ion fade-free Powerful suction for up to 15 min
- Motorized Brushroll for deep cleaning carpet, upholstery, and stairs
- Built-in Extension Hose for handy detail cleaning
- Extension Wand for above-floor cleaning
- Easy-Empty Dirt Bin
- Onboard Dusting Brush
- Onboard Crevice Tool
- 2 Year Limited Warranty
“Multi Cordless Hand Vac” accurately describes this amazing tool. The Bissell 19851 Multi Cordless is more than a convenient product for quick clean-ups, it will quickly become your Go-To vacuum for everyday maintenance cleaning and quick pick-ups.
The price is right and the Customer Reviews are amazing!
#4 BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser Lithium Ion Cordless Hand Vacuum 2390A
The new BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser Lithium Ion Handheld Cordless 2390A is the ideal tool for helping you manage the everyday cleaning issues that are an inescapable part of pet ownership.
Boasting a powerful 14 Volt Lithium-Ion battery this attractive machine will provide up to 20 minutes of powerful fade-free suction.
Designed to Tackle Pet Messes!
Use it to easily tackle your typical, around-the-house messes that pets and their owners leave behind such as crumbs, dry cereal, dirt, dust, coffee grounds, dry pet food, and pet hair.
Pet-specific tools include a motorized brush that digs out trampled in dirt from your carpeted stairs without having to drag out your heavy corded vacuum.
An Upholstery Tool makes it easy to whisk away hair and crumbs that end up on your furniture after an evening of watching TV with your pet and sharing a snack.
A Crevice Tool lets you easily clean those hard-to-reach areas such as between cushions.
Easy-Empty Dirt Cup and Triple Level Filtration!
A large, easy-to-empty dirt cup lets you spend more time cleaning without having to stop every couple minutes to dump the dirt.
Three Levels of Filtration reduces the possibility of pet dander and other allergens being stirred up and blown back into the air you breathe.
The BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser 2390A works excellent for cleaning the car or motor home.
Check Out this Cool Demo VIDEO!
- Motorized Brush Tool to remove embedded dirt and pet hair
- 14V lithium-Ion battery provide up to 20 minutes of run time
- Triple level filtration helps improve cleaning performance and reduce allergens in the air
- Large, easy-to-empty dirt bin for longer cleaning and less dumping
- Specialized pet tools includes: Motorized Brush Tool, Upholstery Tool, and Crevice Tool
- 1 Year Limited Warranty
One of the things I like best about the BISSELL 2390A handheld is the price. This Grab-n-Go personal helper gives you a lot of cleaning capability for a modest investment.
If you share your life with a pet this is a tool you will find yourself using everyday!
#5 Ryobi P7131 One+ 18V Lithium Ion Battery Powered Cordless Dry Debris Hand Vacuum
The Ryobi P7131 is a member of their ever growing One+ System. And that’s what makes this cordless hand vacuum so special. This is one of the few handheld vacuum with a replaceable battery.
The One+ System consists of numerous battery-operated tools that all use the same battery. This tool doesn’t come with a battery. You would need to purchase the compatible One+ 18V 4.0AH Lithium Ion Battery Pack and Charger separately.
One Battery Pack for Multiple Tools!
The huge benefit to this is that when the battery eventually reaches the point where it won’t hold a charge, you simply purchase another battery pack. In addition to that, if you decide you need one of the many One+ Ryobi battery-powered tools you can use the same battery pack and charger as the P7131 uses.
Powerful Suction and Effective Filtration!
When it comes to performance, the Ryobi P7131 will amaze you with it powerful suction of 20 Airwatts. It features a large dust cup so you can pick up the day to day messes in the kitchen and house without having to stop and dump frequently. The P7131` is ideal for the workshop for picking up sawdust and chips when you don’t want to haul out the big Shop Vac.
A dual filter system that includes a pre-filter and a large replaceable filter. This effective arrangement captures the fine dust so you don’t have to worry about suction loss.
When it’s time to clean in those tight places, attach the Clevis multi tool. It conveniently stores in the bottom of the dust cup so it’s very handy when you need it.
Check Out this Cool Ryobi Demo VIDEO!
The Ryobi P7131 is a bit on the heavy side with a combined weight of 5.25 lb. with the battery pack. However, the extra power and operating capacity makes it a very practical tool to have around the house and workshop.
Another feature I really like about the P7131 is that it just feels good in the hand. It has a rubberized grip that makes it easy to handle and maneuver.
If the idea of being able to replace the battery with a new one makes sense to you, this cord-free hand vac makes a whole lot of sense. Plus, the P7131 might just be the beginning of a collection of practical quality cordless tools that all use the same One+ System power source.
The Ryobi P7131 is one of the top-rated handheld vacuums with a replaceable battery.
#6 Bissell 2133 Bolt Pet, Handheld Cordless Vacuum
The New Bissell 2133 Bolt Pet Handheld works as well as it looks.
As the name implies, Bissell designed the 2133 with pet owners in mind.
A 16V Lithium-Max battery provides plenty of suction power to gobble up typical messes that pets create including kitty litter and pet hair. Of course you will pat yourself on the back for buying it every time you spill coffee grounds or make other messes on your counter top. In fact you will probably find yourself using the Bissell 2133 Bolt Pet every day.
At only 2.5 lbs. the Bissell 2133 feels good in your hand and the transparent housing allows you to see when it’s time to empty the accommodating 0.6 Liter Dirt Cup.
A Blue Battery Charge Indicator light shows you when it is fully charged which takes approx. 4 hours. A full charge provides up to 25 minutes of runtime which is more than most cordless handhelds available at this time. That’s a lot of cleaning!
Works Great for Pet Messes!
A specialized detachable Hair Brush has rubber teeth that make sucking up pet food into the large nozzle easy. It works great for removing pet hair from furniture, stairs, or cloths. A Crevice Tool lets you easily clean in tight places.
Once full, the large Dirt Cup is easy to detach and empty. The Clean-Turn Filter helps let go of the trapped dirt without having to shake it or use another vacuum to clean it.
A Plug-in Charger gives you more flexibility without taking up the extra space required with a charging dock.
- Powerful 16V Lithium-Max battery provides 25 Minutes of Cordless Runtime
- Lightweight at only 2.5 lbs
- Easy-to-Empty Large 0.6L Capacity Dirt Cup
- Clean-Turn Filtration helps release trapped dirt from filters when emptying
- Specialty Pet Tools include Rubber Tooth Pet Hair Brush and Crevice Tool
- 2 Year BISSELL Warranty
The NEW Bissell 2133 Bolt Pet gives impressive performance and is currently one of the best cordless handheld vacuums available! I highly recommend it, especially if you have pets!
#7 BLACK & DECKER BDH2020FLFH MAX Lithium Flex Cordless Handheld Vacuum
Maximum Flexibility is what this distinctive looking hand vac is all about! The B&D BDH2020FLFH is one of the only cordless handheld currently available that features a “flexible” hose that can extend out to 4 feet to enable you to reach the dirt where the vacuum body won’t fit.
Add the Flex Pet Hair Brush to the curved detachable wand and tackle the pet hair on your upholstery or stairs. Or click on the 2-in-1 Nozzle/Brush Tool and easily clean the blinds, lamp shades, air vents book shelves and anywhere dust collects. Or, you can use any of the tools with the B&D BDH2020FLFH with the wand attached. And, at only 3.2 Lbs, your arm won’t get fatigued.
Easy-Empty Dirt Cup and 3 Stage Filtration!
When you are done cleaning the large dirt cup is easy to empty. Cyclonic action separates the dirt to maximize suction. The 3 Stage Filtering System prevents dust from being blown back into the air.
A 20V Lithium Battery provides plenty of fade-free suction power to conquer the difficult cleaning jobs.
A Charging Base lets you store the accessories while charging, ready for the next mission.
Watch this Cool Customer Review VIDEO!
This is by far the best battery-powered hand vacuum I have seen for cleaning cars, RV’s, and Boats.
Of all the cordless handheld vacuums available the BLACK & DECKER BDH2020FLFH MAX Lithium Flex is one of my favorite. It’s not the most powerful and it is larger than other cordless handheld vacuums, but it is definitely the most “Flexible.”
Increased Flexibility Option!
To increase the flexibility B & D offers the BDH2020FLFH with an OPTIONAL Stick Vacuum Wand/Floorhead so you can use it as a handy portable vacuum.
If you are shopping for a cord-free hand vac to supplement your day to day cleaning the BLACK & DECKER BDH2020FLFH MAX Lithium Flex makes a whole lot of sense.
Compare Cordless Handheld Vacuums
Cordless Handheld Vacuum History!
The first battery powered hand vacuum I recall was the Black & Decker Dust Buster and was introduced in the 1980’s. It featured Nickel-Cadmium rechargeable batteries (NiCad) that were state-of-the-art for that time period.
These early batteries provided enough power and running time to be able to do some easy but limited clean-ups around the house and car.
A Reliable Cordless Hand Vacuum was a Product Eagerly Embraced!
This break-through product delivered adequate suction for a relatively short period of time before beginning to fade. And although it took a while to recharge, it was eagerly embraced by a public in search of a time-saving solution for small mess clean-ups.
Battery and DC Motor technology has come a long ways since those pioneering days! Battery powered handheld vacuums now deliver a surprising amount of suction and run long enough to complete the cleaning tasks they were intended for.
Do I Really Need a Cordless Handheld Vacuum?
If you’re like most of us your time is a precious and limited commodity. Any tool that can give you more time to do the really important things in life is a “No Brainer!” A cordless hand vacuum is indispensable around the house for quick clean-ups – or to keep in your car, RV, or boat. They do an excellent job of spot cleaning; they’re relatively inexpensive; and they take up a minimum of space.
After owning one for a week or so you will probably wonder how you ever lived without one in your home!
Features to Look for when Purchasing a Cordless Handheld Vacuum!
- Powerful Suction – Even the cheapest Cordless Hand Vacs have enough suction to suck up crumbs from the counter top or popcorn from the sofa. However, if you want to get the deep down stubborn dirt like you would find in your carpet your handheld vacuum needs more power. Generally speaking, the more Volts the on-board battery is rated the more power it can deliver. Of course motor and turbine fan design also play an important role.
- Battery – Most cordless hand vacs have built-in batteries which work great. The only problem is that after several years they reach the point where they will no longer take a charge. When this eventually happens, you will have to replace the whole vacuum. Some cordless hand vacs use replaceable Batteries. This gives you the option to restore your vacuum to like-new condition for minimal cost.
- Recharging – Some models use a Charging Cradle which also serves as a dock or base. A lot of customers prefer this, but it can take up counter or floor space. Other’s use a Plug In “Pin” charging unit with a cord that gives you a little more flexibility. NOTE: For those of you who reside in any of the European Countries you can easily and safely charge the battery of any of the vacuums listed below by using a Step Down Voltage Converter .
- Runtime – Most battery powered hand vacuums will provide a minimum of 12 minutes of runtime which is sufficient for the typical grab-n-go clean-up. However, If your intention is to use your cordless hand vac for general maintenance cleaning a longer runtime is desirable.
- Handy Size – The main purpose of a Cordless Handheld Vacuum is for convenience and portability. Make sure your new vac is small enough to easily handle and access the tight places you want to clean, and yet large enough to have the power and capacity to do some serious cleaning.
- Motorized Brush – If you are considering purchasing a cordless handheld vacuum for cleaning your carpeted stairs, make sure it is equipped with a motorized brushroll (SEE Recommendations Above.) Stairs are heavy traffic lanes and the carpet pile really gets matted down trapping dirt, debris, and hair. This requires aggressive mechanical agitation to dig down to loosen the grip on the dirt so the suction can lift it out. Also, a motor powered brush will decrease your runtime by about 27%.
- Accessories – Accessories such as attachments for tight places, or motor driven cleaning heads for upholstery and stairs can expand the usefulness. Give some thought to what you will be using your new vacuum for.
William • Post Author •November 24, 2018 at 4:08 pm
Great Question! Regular cleaning of airways and filters is important maintenance for any vacuum. A dirty filter or obstruction will reduce or block suction and could damage your vacuum. Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with your new cordless handheld vacuum. Best, Will
Zara SteveNovember 20, 2018 at 2:58 am
I am glad to read your article. I have a question to ask, how often should I clean airways, belts, and brush roll to maintain my vacuum cleaner?