An Easy Guide to Help Select the Best Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair! Latest 2018 Recommendations! (Side-by-Side Comparisons)
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) the total number of households in the US that own pets is 79,463,000. That’s a lot of pets and a whole lot of pet hair! If you share your home with a cat or dog you want to choose the Best Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair possible to help make your life easier.
Getting rid a cat’s or dog’s hair from our home is the ultimate challenge for any type of vacuum cleaner. Until a few short years ago it was considered a job only for a well-designed and powerful corded vacuum – and perhaps only wishful thinking that someday a cordless vacuum could ever successfully rise to the challenge.
Someday has arrived! The latest DC digital motor and lithium battery technology have made that wish a reality. But don’t ditch your full-size corded vacuum just yet!
A Cordless Vacuum May Not Be Your Best Choice!
Even with all the latest advancements, battery-powered stick vacuums still cannot measure up to the utility and efficiency of a full-size corded AC upright vacuum and probably never will – and here’s why:
Besides the absence of a cord to deal with, one of the reasons so many pet owners are attracted to the concept of a battery operated vacuum is they are very light weight making them easy to handle.
A typical cordless stick vacuum only weighs around 5 to 8 pounds, making it a “light duty” floor care appliance. Compare that to the average corded upright vacuum that weighs two to three times that much. And most of that weight is in the motor which generates 2x to 3x times as many cubic feet per minute of suction. So, it’s not realistic to expect comparable cleaning performance.
Convenience is a Compromise!
A cordless vacuum depends on an on-board battery for its power source and in order to keep the weight manageable the battery must be relatively small. This compromise limits the amount of running time that can be obtained on a single charge. That, in turn, limits the amount of cleaning you can accomplish before having to re-charge the battery.
This compromise may not be that important if you only have one cat or dog that happens to have relatively short fur. In that case, a well-designed cordless vacuum will work just fine. But, if you have multiple or larger pets that shed a lot of fur you’re probably not going to be satisfied with a cordless vacuum, except for quick clean-ups or maintenance cleaning. I would suggest that you consider a good Corded Pet Hair Vacuum.
The bottom line is, that with a Cordless Vacuum you are compromising overall cleaning performance for convenience. That’s not to say it doesn’t offer value – if it only helps you to stay on top of the day-to-day messes its probably a smart investment. And in some circumstances a cordless vacuum could serve as a Primary Vacuum.
What to Look for In a Cordless Pet Hair Vacuum
When a pet sheds its fur it settles on smooth floors as well as carpeted floors – not to mention the hair that gets tracked on to carpeted stairs, and ends up on the furniture. Since most homes have a combination of floor types it’s important to choose a model that is designed to work effectively on each of them. Additionally, it should have the necessary features and attachments for above-floor cleaning.
Since the cordless vacuum cleaner revolution began a few years ago I have had the experience of researching and reviewing a multitude of battery-powered stick vacuum models. I have learned by experience there are six (6) key features or qualities it must have for it to work best for removing pet hair.
- Powerful Suction: The most important feature to look for when selecting a vacuum is Powerful Suction. On a cordless vacuum, the primary determining factor that governs suction power is the Voltage of the battery. So, as a general rule, you want to look for the vacuum model with the highest Voltage rating. The top rated cordless stick vacuums are generally equipped with 20 to 25 Volt batteries.
- Motor Powered Brushroll: A motor powered brushroll is just as important as powerful suction. In fact, no matter how strong the suction a vacuum cleaner produces it has virtually no chance of removing pet hair once it has become entwined in the carpet fibers. Depending on the breed and species, the shaft of a pet hair has a rough scaly surface that makes it difficult to remove from the carpet pile. The mechanical agitation of a brush is absolutely necessary to loosen it from the grip of the pile and move it into the suction zone so it can be conveyed into the dirt cup.
- Sufficient Runtime: The biggest perceived advantage of a cordless vacuum is the convenience of not having to deal with a long power cord every time you operate it. But there’s no net gain if your machine doesn’t provide enough Runtime to get the job done between charges. The moment you press the power button, the clock begins ticking. The problem is that Runtime is primary a function of battery capacity or size. Bigger is generally better but it’s also heavier. Most of the top-rated cordless stick vacuums offer 20 to 30 minutes of runtime while operating both suction and a motor powered brushroll. That’s sufficient time to do several quick clean-ups or maintain an already mostly clean house. If you are looking for a vacuum to be able to clean several rooms in one cleaning session I have found the best solution is to choose a model that has an easily Detachable Battery. That way, you can purchase a 2nd battery to swap out when the first battery loses its charge. This will serve to double your vacuum’s running time!
- Sufficient Capacity: Pet hair takes up a lot of space so it’s important to choose a model that has ample Dirt Cup capacity. Otherwise you will be spending too much time having to stop and empty the cup causing a net loss as far as convenience and time saving goes. This is another area where I believe cordless vacuums need to be improved.
- Effective Filtration: One of the most important features pet owners should look for is Effective Filtration. You’re probably aware that pets shed more than just their fur. They also shed pet dander that attracts dust mites and dust mites leave feces, especially in your carpet. This cycle can become an allergy sufferer’s nightmare. The top-rated Cordless Vacuums feature filtration systems that will trap up to 99% of unhealthy particulates and keep them from being exhausted back in to the air you breathe. (SEE: Effective Filtration Is a Critical Feature for All Vacuum Cleaners )
- Versatility: It’s important that your new cleaning machine has sufficient features and attachments to deal with all the messes pet owners typically encounter. Most of the newer generation of Cordless Stick Vacuums easily convert to a convenient handheld unit that works extremely well for dealing with dirt, debris, plus hair on stairs, furniture, and above-floor areas. Also, the more attachments available the better!
Best Cordless Vacuums for Pet Hair – RECOMMENDATIONS!
Because of the huge demand for Cordless Vacuums manufactures are burning the midnight oil trying to develop the “latest & greatest” model. There are currently a lot of decent models to choose from made by both the familiar brands and also from some new firms who are busy trying to carve out a piece of the action.
I want my customers to have the best experience possible so I have carefully researched and reviewed each of the vacuum models recommended below. Each one has a combination of the features I mentioned above plus other unique features. Each one has proven to be a formidable weapon in the war on pet hair.
I have provided a Side-by-Side Comparison Chart of each of these Vacuums to help you decide which one is the best fit for you. SEE BELOW.
This new vacuum is currently my favorite cordless vacuum and here are the reasons why:
- The new Shark IONFlex DuoClean Cordless Ultra-Light Vacuum IF201 is equipped with a powerful 25.2 Volt Removable Battery making it easy to swap-on-the-fly to double the average runtime of up to 50 minutes while operating it on High, with the Motorized Brushroll. That’s enough time to clean several rooms at one cleaning session.
- It has a sufficiently large Dust Cup capacity at 0.3 dry quarts. That’s enough capacity to accomplish a significant amount of cleaning before emptying.
- The DuoClean feature is the best idea I have seen for cleaning smooth and hardwood floors as well as carpet. It’s especially effective for cleaning up cereal, Kitty Litter, dry pet food like Meow Mix or Purina Dog Chow without slinging it all over the house.
- The IONFlex feature makes the Shark IF201 the most versatile cordless stick vacuum currently available. Not only does in enable you to easily reach under furniture (without bending over,) but it also allows you to park it anywhere without leaning it or using the wall-mount hanging bracket. No other vacuum has this ability at this time!
- SharkNinja warranties the IONFlex IF201 for 5 Years. That’s the longest warranty on any cordless vacuum.
Watch this Informative SharkNinja Demo VIDEO!
The Shark IONFlex DuoClean Cordless Ultra-Light Stick Vacuum IF201 does an excellent job of removing pet hair from carpet, smooth floors, and above-floor areas including stairs. With the DuoClean feature this is the best cordless vacuum for pet hair on hardwood floors currently available!
The versatility is exceptional with the IONFlex Feature and the Handheld feature that allows you to attack pet messes in places that are not reachable with other vacuums.
With the option to easily Swap Out Batteries and the ample Dust Cup capacity the Shark IONFlex DuoClean Cordless Stick Vacuum IF201 can be used as a Primary vacuum in some homes.
It’s also available as a Combo Package 2x model IF251 which includes a 2nd Battery and a Docking/Charging Station which will save you a few bucks. I highly recommend this unique vacuum!
When it comes to helpful cordless tools and appliances Black and Decker is a name that has earned a place at the top of the list. After all, they pioneered the first commercially successful battery-powered handheld vacuum.
The BLACK and DECKER POWERSERIES PRO Cordless Lithium 2in1 Pet Stick Vacuum, HCUA525JP is a departure from the trendy motorhead stick vacuum design that positions the motor at the top along with the dirt cup. It boasts some innovative features that make it highly effective for managing pet hair.
The vacuum channels are sufficient size to handle clumps of fur without clogging, a common problem with many cordless stick vacuums.
A 20V Lithium Battery provides plenty of suction and up to 60 minutes of suction-only runtime. Its charged by an small yet efficient jack plug charger that plugs into any convenient 110/120V wall receptacle.
One of the features I really like is this vacuum Stands Alone. It doesn’t require a wall-mounted bracket like most of the motorhead designs. Just move it to the upright position to Park it.
A common complaint with some of the other cordless pet vacuums is insufficient dirt cup capacity. Black and Decker has solved this problem with a clever Dust Compacter that creates 1.05 quarts of space in the dirt canister so you don’t have to stop every 3 minutes to empty. Additionally it makes it easier to empty once it is full, which is a huge plus (you shouldn’t have to touch the yucky nasty dirt and hair once the vacuum cleaner has done its job.)
SMARTECH is a B&D proprietary feature that performs 3 very important functions:
- AUTOSENSE automatically regulates the suction as you move from carpet to bare floors to maximize runtime
- BATTERYSENSE lets you monitor your remaining battery time
- FILTERSENSE lets you know when to clean the filter
Another feature that really impresses me is the unique Lift-Off capability. This vacuum allows you to carry the light-weight canister with one hand while using the flex hose and attachments to clean furniture, counter tops, or 4 foot overhead areas using the extension wand.
Anti-Tangle Rubber bristles do a superior job of lifting out trapped pet hair from carpets as well as from smooth hard floors.
Check Out this Brief VIDEO!
The BLACK and DECKER POWERSERIES PRO Cordless Lithium 2in1 Pet Stick Vacuum, HCUA525JP comes with: A Jack Plug wall Charger, 5” Pet Brush, 9” Crevice Tool, CUASF10 Washable Filter Kit, 3-in-1 Accessory Tool, and a CUASF10 Scented Tablet for managing pet odor.
This cordless pet vacuum does an excellent job cleaning smooth floors and works well carpet.
Backed by a 2 Year Manufacture Warranty, a whopping 1.05 Dirt Cup capacity, and weighing only 8.25 lbs, the BLACK and DECKER POWERSERIES PRO Cordless Lithium 2in1 Pet Stick Vacuum, HCUA525JP is a serious tool for managing pet hair in your home.
There’s a lot to like about the Electrolux Ergorapido Petcare EL3230A Cordless Stick Vacuum if you share your home with a pet!
Powered by a High performance 18V Lithium Ion battery with runtime up to 35 minutes with the motorized floor brush, this well-designed cordless vac gobbles up pet hair from carpet and hard floors.
And unlike most vacuums, the Ergorapido Petcare EL3230A won’t scatter large debris such as dry pet food and cereal. Rapid charge feature enables full recharging in 4 hours or less.
Weighing only 5 ½ pounds and outfitted with EasySteer, the Ergorapido Petcare EL3230A maneuvers effortlessly around furniture to chase down any mess. Equipped with DustSpotter LED headlamps, the dirt cannot hide from you.
The unique feature that makes this one of the best cordless stick vacuums for pet hair is the patented Self-Cleaning Brushroll that removes hair that gets tangled around it with a press of the pedal. This is especially helpful if your pet/s have long hair.
A simple press of the button removes the Handheld Vacuum and with the Pet Tool attachments cleaning furniture, stairs, drapes, counter tops, and everyday messes is a snap.
Click on the premium Motorized Upholstery Nozzle and easily remove pet hair from your furniture.
Watch This Cool Demo VIDEO!
Especially important is the Easy Empty dust cup and the Washable Filter. Unlike the trendy “motorhead” stick vacs, this model is Self-Standing.
The battery is located in the Handheld unit and can be re-ordered from the manufacture when it finally wears out and easily replaced.
Electrolux warranties the Ergorapido Petcare EL3230A for 2 Years.
Elegant and practical are what make this quality appliance a valuable tool for managing pet hair. I enthusiastically recommend this vacuum!
The Dyson V8 Animal Cord Free Vacuum is another model that deserves to be on your short list.
It is on the “pricy” side but the Dyson name has earned the reputation for offering quality floor care products. Their motor head concept has become an icon that other manufactures try to emulate.
The features that impress me the most about this vacuum are:
- Excellent suction power and a direct-drive brush for seriously cleaning carpet. (Unlike it’s more expensive V8 Absolute cousin it DOES NOT come with the Soft Roller which works so well on smooth floors.)
- Good Runtime at 25 min at full-power with the motorized floor brush and up to 40 minutes with suction only.
- Good Dust Cup Capacity at 0.592 quarts.
- Very good versatility when used in the Handheld mode.
- A Mini Motorized Pet Tool works great on stairs.
- Excellent HEPA-Level Filtration!
Take a LOOK at this Informative Dyson Demo VIDEO
The Dyson V8 Animal Cord Free Stick Vacuum is very well made and it does an excellent job at deep cleaning dirt and hair from carpet. It works “OK” on smooth floors but, if your home has a majority of smooth or hardwood floors, I recommend that you consider upgrading to the V8 Absolute with the Soft Floor Brush accessory. It costs more but it really makes the difference on hard floors.
The issue that I don’t like about the V8 Animal Stick is that the battery is housed in the handle and is Not removable. So, this limits your runtime to 25 minutes while using the powered floor brush or Mini-brush and 40 minutes of suction only operation.
Dyson offers a 2 Year Warranty with this vacuum.
The Dyson V8 Animal Cord Free Stick Vacuum is a top-of-the-line appliance and receives high marks for its cleaning performance, versatility, and quality. The HEPA Filtration makes the V8 Animal a smart option if you suffer with allergies or other respiratory issues.
If your on a tight budget, the Dibea C17 Lightweight Stick Vacuum offers excellent value. Suzhou Dibea Electrical Technology Co., Ltd is another China based company that has been introducing some excellent floor care products at very attractive prices.
Like the other vacuums listed here, the Dibea C17 derives its overall appearance from the highly successful Dyson line of cordless stick vacuums. When it comes to cleaning pet hair the Dibea C17 performs comparatively well alongside the Dyson V8 Animal.
Here’s what I like about the Dibea C17 Cordless 2 in 1 Lightweight Stick Handheld Vacuum:
- It not only looks similar to a Dyson V7 Motorhead, it cleans pet hair from carpet and hard floors for a fraction of the price.
- A 22.2 volt Li-ion Battery provides up to 25 minutes of fade-free cleaning operating the motorized floor brush, and 40 minutes with suction only.
- Two Suction settings for cleaning carpet and hard floors.
- A decent sized Dust Cup holds plenty of dirt, debris, and pet hair.
- Advanced Noise Reduction Technology provides ultra-quiet operation.
- Weighing only 5.0 lbs. the Dibea C17 is easy to operate with one hand, especially while cleaning overhead.
- HEPA-Level Filtration traps offending particulates such as pet dander, dust mites, feces, pollen, and mold.
- One Year Worry-Free Warranty!
You may be hesitant to purchase an unfamiliar brand vacuum but the customer reviews have been excellent with this vacuum. In fact, it is currently an Amazon Choice product which is a status given to products that are “highly rated and reasonably priced.”
Take a LOOK at this Dibea Demo VIDEO!
The Dibea C17 Cordless 2 in 1 Lightweight Stick works very well as a secondary vacuum for quick clean-ups around the house. It’s especially handy for above-floor cleaning chores.
Another feature I really like about this model is you can use the motor-driven floor brush in the handheld mode for cleaning stairs.
This inexpensive cordless vac is ideal for the pet owner looking for a way to save time each month while maintaining a clean house.
What I don’t like about this vacuum model is the battery is Built-in making it impossible to upgrade the Runtime. But, that should not be an issue as long as you have a conventional corded vacuum to handle the bulk of your cleaning.
I highly recommend the Dibea C17 Cordless 2 in 1 Lightweight Stick Handheld Vacuum as a solution for helping you manage pet hair!
Compare Features of Top-Rated Cordless Pet Hair Vacuums
|Model||Shark IONFlex DuoClean Cordless Ultra-Light Vacuum (IF201)||BLACK+DECKER POWERSERIES PRO Cordless Lithium 2in1 Pet Stick Vacuum, HCUA525JP||Electrolux Ergorapido Petcare EL3230A Cordless Stick Vacuum||Dyson V8 Animal Cordless HEPA Vacuum Cleaner||Dibea C17 Cordless 2 in 1 Lightweight Stick Handheld Vacuum Cleaner|
|Battery||25.2V Removable ION power pack||20V Lithium non-removable||18V Lithium Ion||22.5 V Lithium, Repalceable||22.2 volt Li-ion|
|Runtime||25 full power / 45 suction only, Up Gradable to DOUBLE||Up to 60 min. Suction Only||35 w/ Floor Brush / 40 min suction only, Up gradable to DOUBLE||25 w/ Floor Brush / 40 min suction only, NOT Up gradable||25 w/ Floor Brush / 40 min suction only, NOT up gradable|
|Accessories||Dusting Brush, Crevice Tool, Anti-Allergen, Wide Upholstery Tool, Single Battery + Charger||Jack Plug wall Charger, 5” Pet Brush, 9” Crevice Tool, CUASF10 Washable Filter Kit, 3-in-1 Accessory Tool, and a CUASF10 Scented Tablet||Motorized Upholstery Tool, Crevice Tool, Dusting Brush, Floor Stand/Charger||Crevice Tool, Direct Drive Floor Cleaning Head, Mini Motorized Tool, Electric Wand Set, Combo Accessory Tool, and Manuals||Motorized Bristle Floor Brush, Crevice Tool, Wall Charging Base|
|Weight||8.7 lbs||8.25 lbs||5.5 lbs||5.63 lbs||5.0 lbs|
|Recommended Use||All Carpet, Smooth and Hardwood floors||Low to Med. Pile Carpet and Smooth Floors||Low pile Carpet, area rugs, and Smooth floors||Low Pile Carpet and Hard Floors, area rugs||Low Pile Carpet, Area Rugs, and Hard Floors|
|Filtration||Cyclonic w/ cleanable motor filter||Cyclonic w/ cleanable motor filter||Easy Clean Allergen||Cyclonic w/ HEPA||Cyclonic w/ HEPA|
|Dust Cup Capacity||0.3 quarts||1.05 quarts||0.35 quarts||0.592 quarts||0.5 quarts Approx|
|Warranty||5 Years Manufacture Warranty||2 Year Manufacture Warranty||2 Year Manufacture Warranty||2 Years Manufacture Warranty||12 Months Manufacture Warranty|