Best Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair Guide- A Complete Guide!
By William | February 9, 2020
An Easy Guide to Help You Select the Best Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair!
Check Out my Latest 2020 Recommendations you will Absolutely Love!
If you share your home with a cat or dog that sheds its fur, you need the best cordless vacuum designed especially for dealing with pet hair.
We all love our pets but managing the hair they shed is a constant battle. Dragging out the heavy old plug-in vacuum is about as much of a chore as mowing the lawn. But it doesn’t have to be that way!
A New Generation of Cordless Pet Hair Vacuums!
There’s a new generation of battery-powered cordless vacuums that can make managing the messes our pets make easier and faster. These new machines have more power, longer operating time, plus high-tech features that can really help you get the job done.
With the right cord-free vacuum, you will probably find yourself spending more time enjoying your beloved cat or dog instead of cleaning up after them. After all, that’s what we really want, isn’t it!
Why Should you Trust My Advice?
I believe it’s important to know the qualifications of someone who is offering advice about which vacuum cleaners are the best. There’s are a lot of so-called experts on the internet handing out advice these days. They have nice-looking websites and interesting things to say. But who’s advice can you really trust when it comes to buying a cordless stick vacuum cleaner?
I spent years as an IICRC Floor Care and Carpet Cleaning technician (Recently Retired – whew hew!) pushing around all types of vacuum cleaners and other equipment. During that time I learned what to look for when choosing a machine that cleans the fastest and most efficiently. This also gave me the opportunity to observe my customer’s vacuum cleaners and see first hand which ones worked best and lasted the longest.
The homes that had cats or dogs almost always presented the most work for me. They inevitably had pet hair to deal with, as well as debris from food and shredded toys – not to mention the associated pet odors. So, my experience with vacuum cleaners and cleaning pet hair has given me a unique perspective when it comes recommending a vacuum cleaner.
So, let’s dive in and see if we can connect you with a really great cordless vacuum that fits your needs as a pet owner.
The more you know about cordless vacuums, the more likely you are to choose the right one for your needs and avoid an unpleasant experience.
Contents at a Glance
- An Easy Guide to Help You Select the Best Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair!
- My RECOMMENDATIONS!
- #1 Dyson V11 Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
- #2 Tineco PURE ONE S12 Plus Cordless Stick Vacuum
- #3 Shark ION P50 Lightweight Cordless Upright (IC162)
- #4 Dyson V8 Animal Cordless Vacuum
- #5 Kenmore Elite SSV 2-in-1 Complete DS6028 Cordless Vacuum
- #6 Shark Rocket Pet Pro Cordless (IZ162H)
- Side-by-Side Comparisons
- What to Look for When Choosing a Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair
- A Whole Lot of Pet Hair!
- Why a Cordless Stick Vacuum May Be Your Best Option for Cleaning Pet Hair!
- The Truth you Should Know about Cordless Pet Hair Vacuums
Top 6 Best Rated Cordless Vacuums for Pet Hair
(Updated Feb. 1, 2020 ) I want my customers to have the best experience possible so I have carefully researched and reviewed each of the vacuum models recommended below. Each one has a combination of the important features I have mentioned in this article, plus other unique features.
I strongly believe that these are the 6 best cordless vacuums currently available for managing pet hair.
Please NOTE: For your convenience, I have provided a detailed description of each vacuum model directly below. I have also provided a Side-by-Side Comparison Table at the end of this article so you can compare features, specs, and price.
NOTE: If you happen to reside in a European Country you can easily and safely charge the battery in any of the cordless vacuums listed below by using a Voltage Converter
#1 Dyson V11 Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson’s introduction of their new V11 Animal Cordless is a game changer for anyone seeking the ultimate weapon against pet hair.
Until recently, cordless stick vacuums have offered the pet owner an excellent option as a supplemental cleaning tool to help manage pet messes in their home. Finally, the Dyson V11 Animal can actually be used as a whole-house, multi-floor vacuum in many instances.
Over the Top Suction and Cleaning Performance
The Dyson V11 Animal boasts 185 Air Watts of suction power. That’s 20 percent more power than their very popular Cyclone V10 Absolute model.
And when you apply that amount of suction power to cleaning carpet or hard floors, the end results is impressive to say the least!
In my Review, the Dyson V11 Torque Drive (SEE: Differences Between V11 Torque Drive and V11 Animal ) it defeated every type of mess cats and dogs leave including hair, dirt, dust, litter, pet dander and large debris. The V11 easily removes them from both carpet and hard floors.
Stairs and furniture are easily cleaned using the Mini-Motorized Tool. Removing embedded pet hair from even long pile carpet presented no challenge for the V11 Torque Drive.
High Torque Cleaning Head
Dyson has equipped the Cleaning Head with a Dynamic Load Sensor (DLS) that detects differences in floor surfaces. When you transition from carpet to hard floors it tells the motor to slow down. This minimizes the spinning brush from slinging Fido’s Kibble & Bits or Junior’s Cheerios all across the kitchen floor.
When you cross over to carpet the DLS tells the brush roll motor to speed up to provide the necessary agitation to remove deep-down pet hair and dirt.
LED Intelligence Reports
When you are vacuuming your home with a cordless vacuum there is certain important information the operator should be aware of.
The Dyson V11 Animal is outfitted with an LED Intelligence Display that enables the operator to monitor the selected Cleaning MODE and provide Maintenance Reports.
Three Cleaning Modes
The Dyson V11 Animal has (3) Cleaning Modes: ECO, AUTO, and BOOST. You can select the appropriate Mode by simply depressing the Button located near the bottom of the LED Display.
- ECO Mode is intended for everyday light cleaning. This is the ideal setting for removing surface dirt and debris including pet hair and shredded pet toys.
- In Auto Mode, the Torque Drive floor brush is equipped with a dynamic load sensor that detects the differences in floor surface. It sends a signal to the motor to speed up or slow down to give optimal performance. When you vacuum carpet the brush roll speeds up for deep down cleaning and when you move over to hard floor surfaces it slows down. This feature eliminates (almost) the issues of slinging your pets dry pet food across the floor instead of picking it up. You can expect around 30 minutes of Run Time in Auto Mode depending on floor type.
- Boost Mode is for those really dirty areas such as cracks or embedded dirt or pet hair in carpet. You can expect around 15 minutes in Boost Mode.
You will find that having this information readily available makes it so much easier to get the most performance out of the V11 Animal cordless vac.
Another limitation cordless stick vacuums have suffered in the past is marginal operating time. Your cleaning would have to be accomplished in 15 to 20 minutes before running out of battery power. Dyson has equipped the V11 Animal with a 7 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery that can operate the machine with the Torque Drive floor brush for up to 60 minutes in Eco mode.
Easy-Empty Dust Cup
The V11 Animal features a large .810 dry quart Dust Cup that is incredibly easy to empty. Once it’s full, just point it in the trash can and press down on the red tab. Watch the dirt and clumps of dust and hair actually shoot into the trash can. No more reaching in with your fingers or a stick.
Then simply return the red tab after emptying. This is the best-designed dust cup emptying system I have seen so far!
Check Out this Dyson Customer Support VIDEO!
- Unsurpassed Suction: 185 AW suction rating for absolute cleaning performance
- LED Display Screen: Helpful Intelligence Reports in real time to maximize machine performance
- Torque Drive Floor Brush w/ Dynamic Load Sensor: Intelligently detects floor differences
- Extra-Large, Easy-Empty Dust Cup: Point & shoot dust cup holds .810 dry qts.
- Long Uninterrupted Runtime: Up to 60 Minutes of Fade-Free operating time (in ECO Mode)
- 2-in-1 Handheld: Ideal for cleaning above-floor areas and car
- HEPA-Level Full-Machine Filtration: Removes 99.97% of dangerous particles down to 0.3 microns
- Acoustically Engineered: Quiet Operation so you can hear the phone, TV, or kids
- Included: High Torque Cleaning Head, Mini-Motorized Tool, Combo Tool, Crevice Tool, Stubborn Dirt Brush, Wand Storage Clip, Docking Station and Charger
- Warranty: 2 Dyson Year Parts & Labor
- Powerful suction
- Helpful Intelligent technology
- Excellent hard floor & carpet cleaning performance
- Quiet operation
- Mini-Motorized Tool
- Not free-standing
- Trigger must be depressed to operate
- No Wall-Mount Docking Station
The Dyson V11 Animal is a break-through household product that every pet-loving homeowner will fall in love with. It’s powerful enough to do more than just clean light, everyday messes. This machine can do some of the heavy cleaning usually left to a traditional corded upright vacuum.
It has enough Run Time to be able to complete all but the largest cleaning tasks. It is outfitted with the sophisticated technology you’d expect from a top-of-the-line product like this. LED Monitoring keeps you informed of the information you should know for maximum performance. The DLS equipped Floor Brush that automatically adjusts brush speed for optimum performance is a huge benefit. And, the highest capacity battery in the industry that allows up to 60 minutes of uninterrupted cleaning.
If you are a person who shares your home with a furry animal and want to take control of pet hair and other messes, you will absolutely love the Dyson V11 Torque Drive Cordless. It is truly the best cordless vacuum for pet hair currently available!
Check Latest Price* Click here to see easy payment plan on Amazon
Take Me to COMPARISON TABLE
#2 Tineco PURE ONE S12 Plus Cordless Stick Vacuum
The new Tineco PURE ONE S12 Plus is a top tier cordless stick vacuum that is loaded with the latest high tech features. This highly sophisticated, elegant looking machine just might be the best cordless vacuum pet hair vacuum on the planet.
It’s fully equipped to help you manage pet hair and every other mess that pets make in your entire house.
SMART Technology and State-of-the-Art Features
The Tineco PURE ONE S12 is the most technically advanced cordless stick vacuum currently available. It’s State-of-the-Art features are designed to maximize cleaning performance and user friendliness.
Useful features such as Smartphone App Integration that enables the operator to monitor real-time performance. This unique feature also provides you with Maintenance Reminders and Cleaning Reports. In case any issues arise, it provides you with immediate access to Troubleshooting and Support.
This is not just an appliance to clean floors, but a highly advanced machine that’s designed to clean every nook and cranny in your home efficiently and intelligently.
NOTE: * Vacuum can be used with or without Smartphone App.
Amazing Suction Power!
One of the stand-out attributes of the Tineco PURE ONE S12 Plus is powerful suction. The S12 DC motor develops a massive 150 Air Watts of suction power (rated at the nozzle in MAX Mode.) This makes it one of the most powerful cordless stick vacuums currently available.
SMART Suction Technology
This revolutionary technology utilizes a processor and an iLoop Sensor located in the stem that monitors the amount of dust and dirt that passes. The sensor is active in both Upright and Handheld mode. The benefits of this technology are twofold:
- Detects concentrations of dirt, dust, debris, and hair and automatically adjusts suction for maximum deep cleaning performance.
- Minimizes unnecessary battery drain by using maximum suction only when needed.
The SMART Suction feature functions in Auto Mode which is also the default mode when you turn the vacuum cleaner on. As you push the vacuum across the floor the suction is adjusted to minimum which is sufficient to clean areas of light dust and dirt. When it encounters heavier concentrations of dust, dirt, and debris the suction is automatically increased as needed.
(NOTE: The suction can also be controlled manually by using the touch slide control located on the handle. )
Watch this Brief VIDEO!
LED Digital Display Screen
The S12 PLUS is equipped with a stunning LED Digital Display that provides you with important information while you vacuum.
- Remaining Runtime function: As you vacuum you will see how many minutes of operating time left displayed in count-down format.
- Maintenance Alerts: An alert lets you know when the filter needs cleaning or if there’s a clog. This is a common complaint when cleaning pet hair using any vacuum.
- Dust Amount: This function enables you to see how much dirt/dust the S12 is devouring.
- Power Mode: See which power mode is being used, Manual or Auto.
Battery and Runtime
One of the limitations that has kept pet owners from investing in a cordless vacuum is limited runtime. As battery technology has improved runtimes for cord-free vacuums have increased. One of the features I really like about the Tineco Pure One S12 Plus is that it comes with TWO removable battery packs. This enables you to swap out the discharged battery for a freshly charged one while on the fly.
The Pure One S12 Plus will run up to 100 minutes per battery pack in AUTO Mode, depending on how much dirt, dust, debris, and hair it encounters.
That’s enough operating time to tackle all even the largest cleaning tasks.
Check Out this Amazing Demo VIDEO!
My testing showed that typical dirt, dust, and pet hair are completely cleaned from bare or hardwood floors Using the Direct-Drive Soft-Roller Power Brush. I found that large debris such as dry cat or dog food presents is easily sucked up without scattering or slinging it across the floor.
Using the Direct Drive LED Multi-Tasker Floor Brush, the cleaning performance on carpet is excellent. The exceptionally high suction power deep cleans dust, dirt, and pet hair from even high pile plush carpet. Even Tiny flakes of pet dander are eliminated!
- Powerful Suction: 150 Air Watts of fade-free suction power in MAX Mode conquers pet hair, dirt, and dust from all floor types
- SMART Suction iLoop Dust Sensor: Detects dirt and dust concentration and automatically adjusts suction for enhanced cleaning performance
- SMART App Integration: Enables real-time monitoring of performance, maintenance reminders, reports, and troubleshooting
- (2) each Detachable 2500mAh Battery Packs: Extended Runtimes of up to 100 minutes each in AUTO Mode
- 4 Stage HEPA-Level Filtration: Traps 99.97% of fine dust, pollen, mold spores, pet dander, and pet dander feces
- Accessories Included: 2X Battery Packs, 2X HEPA Filters, Rinse-Free Pre-Filter Cleaning Tool, Mini Powered Brush, Crevice Tool, 2-in-1 Dusting Tool, Soft Dusting Tool, Flexible Crevice Tool, Dual Charge Wall Mount, Flexible Extension Hose, Multi-Angle Adapter, Direct-Drive LED Multi-Tasker Power Floor Brush and LED Hard Floor Soft-Roller Power Floor Brush
- Warranty: 2 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty
- Very powerful suction
- Intelligent app integration
- Smart suction technology saves battery
- Excellent hard floor and carpet cleaning performance
- LED Digital Display shows performance reports
- HEPA-Level Filtration, 99.97% effective
- Doesn’t stand on its own
I believe the Tineco PURE ONE S12 Plus is currently one of the very best Cordless Vacuums for dealing with pet hair as well as any other mess in the home. This is not just a vacuum cleaner for cleaning floors, its a complete whole-house cleaning system. It has the suction power and mechanical features to deal with pet dander that can attract dust mites.
The Tineco PURE ONE S12 is an elegant looking machine and the build quality is evident the instant you open the box. This is a vacuum cleaner anyone would be proud to own.
This is a state-of-the-art machine that is rich with useful features and one of the most complete cord-free cleaning systems available at this time. The Tineco PURE ONE S12 is one of the best cordless vacuums you can buy for pet hair.
Check Latest Price* Click here to get large discount Coupon at Amazon
Take Me to COMPARISON CHART
#3 Shark ION P50 Lightweight Cordless Upright (IC162)
Finally, a really Practical cordless vacuum for pet owners! Don’t get me wrong, I love the very popular “motorhead” design that made cleaning your floors fun. But the new ION P50 Cordless Upright Vacuum (IC162) from SharkNinja is not only fun to operate; it’s a really practical appliance for anyone who shares their home with furry pets.
Two Rollers, One Power Head
A unique feature that makes the Shark ION P50 IC162 especially suited for pet owners is their patented and proven DuoClean Power Head. It amounts to Two Rollers in One Power Head – a Soft Roller in the front for unsurpassed cleaning performance of large debris on hardwood floors or carpet.
A Standard Roller with Stiff bristles is located in the rear of the power head to provide the important mechanical agitation for deep cleaning carpet.
SharkNinja has beefed up the suction power to an amazing 79 inches of water lift ( SEE Vacuum Cleaner Suction Ratings Explained). That’s enough suction to extract the dirt that gets trapped in the cracks between wood floor boards or along baseboards for a really thorough clean.
The Shark ION P50 IC162 performs beautifully on short and medium pile carpet. The rear stiff roller of the DuoClean head digs out embedded hair from carpet pile and dirt, dust, and pet dander are removed with one or two passes.
The performance on long or plush pile carpet is less impressive. It does do a good job cleaning surface dirt and debris. When you activate the Power Surge mode it will get the job done but it reduces the Runtime.
Another issue is the dual motorized floor brushes tend to make it self-propelled and somewhat difficult to pull back on long pile carpet.
Because of the DuoClean front soft roller, the Shark ION P50 IC162 excels at removing find dirt, dust, dander, and pet hair from wood floors. It produces a “just buffed look” that is noticeable, even on older wood floors.
What I really like about the DuoClean head is that it removes large debris without plowing it in front of the vacuum or slinging it across the floor. It easily picks up dry pet food and shredded pet toys from hard floors and carpet also.
The Powered Lift-Away feature of the IC162 makes it easier to clean overhead areas. Instead of supporting the entire weight of the vacuum with onlyone hand, the motor and dust cup can be carried in one hand, leaving the other hand available to hold and manipulate the wand.
This arrangement works very will for cleaning drapes, ceiling fans, cob webs and other above-floor areas.
Simply remove the wand from the handle and attach the Upholstery Tool or other accessories for cleaning furniture, stairs, and pet bedding.
Choose Your Speed
There is a Floor Type Selector button located on the handle that lets you Slow Down the brushes for carpet or Speed Up for carpet.
Perhaps the biggest advantage of the DuoClean feature is you don’t have to stop cleaning to swap floor brushes every time you move to a different room like with the Dyson V8 or Cyclone V10.
The next feature that sets the ION P50 (IC162) from the competition is its FREE-STANDING! When you’re done vacuuming or have to stop to answer the phone, just return it to the upright position instead of leaning it against a piece of furniture. Simply return it to it’s upright position and it’s Parked!
A 28.8 Volt Lithium-ion Battery Pack provides up to 30 minutes of Runtime in the Upright or Lift-Away Mode. This is comparable to the Dyson V8 and V10 with about the same Air Flow volume of about 28 CFM. Up to 50 minutes in Portable Above-Floor mode is more than enough time to tackle those above-floor cleaning areas. If that’s not enough operating time you can purchase an Optional 2nd Battery Pack and Double the Operating time.
XL Large Dust Cup
Another feature important to pet owners is the XL Dust Cup with a capacity of about 5 cups which is one of the largest available on a cordless vacuum. It’s easy to empty and clumped up pet hair or dust are not prone to sticking on the cyclone apparatus.
Check Out this Impressive Demo VIDEO!
- DuoClean Technology: Unsurpassed cleaning performance on hardwood and carpeted floors
- Upright Vacuum Cleaning Performance: Similar performance as a plug in upright vacuum, without the Cord
- Powered Lift-Away®: Enjoy an easier Above-Floor cleaning experience
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology: HEPA-Level Filtration that blocks 99.99% of Allergens as minuscule as 0.3 Microns
- Freestanding: Easy Parking and convenient storage
- Removable /Replaceable Battery: Up to 30 Minutes of Runtime w/ power head and 50 minutes above-floor mode
- Bright LED Headlamps: Illuminates that hard to see dirt
- Included: Upholstery Tool, Dusting Brush, Duster Crevice Tool, (1) ION Battery Pack, Charging Cradle
- Warranty: 5 Year Manufactures Warranty, 2 Year on Battery
- Highly effective hard floor performance
- Large capacity dust cup
- Lift-away feature for easy above-floor operation
- Strong suction
- 50 min. runtime / up-gradable
- HEPA-Level Filtration
- Bright LED Headlamps
- Somewhat difficult to operate on long pile carpet
The new Shark ION P50 Cordless Upright Vacuum (IC162) represents a Breakthrough for pet owners who are seeking the convenience of Cord-Free Operation with the comparable Performance (in some cases) of a traditional Upright vacuum.
This is a very Practical appliance! It has the Suction Power to really do a superb cleaning job on hard floors and low to medium carpet. The large 28.5 Volt battery pack provides enough Runtime to most cleaning tasks. The XL Dust Cup has enough capacity to let you spend your time cleaning instead of emptying.
The Shark ION P50 Cordless Upright Vacuum (IC162) is the emanation of some inspired engineers who have put a lot of thought into this design. It’s clear that their goal was to address the needs of their customers.
The practical design and functionality of the Shark ION P50 qualifies it as one of the best cordless vacuums for pet hair on the market.
Check Latest Price* Click here to see all the positive customer reviews on Amazon
Take Me to COMPARISON TABLE
#4 Dyson V8 Animal Cordless Vacuum
Since its introduction in 2016 the Dyson V8 Animal has become the icon for cordless pet vacuums. Although two newer “V” Series editions have been introduced, (SEE: Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal Cordless and the Dyson V11 Animal Cordless ) the V8 Animal has remained a favorite with pet owners.
Suction Power of the Dyson V8 Animal Cordless Vacuum
Rated at 115 Air Watts of suction power, the Dyson V8 Animal Cordless scored an amazing 93/100 with Consumer Reports in its comparison testing of cordless stick vacuums Feb. 2016.
In its carpet cleaning performance testing of the Dyson V8 Animal Cordless, Consumer Reports scored it an impressive 5/5 on medium carpet. It easily removed the sand, hair, and surface debris used in their testing.
Not surprisingly, the V8 Animal Cordless Vacuum scored 5/5 for its cleaning performance on *hard floor surfaces. Media included flour, sand, hair, and large debris.
Additionally, it scored 5/5 for cleaning along edges.
* NOTE: I do not recommend the Dyson V8 Animal for use on wood or engineered floors. The included Direct Drive Cleaner Head floor brush has the potential to cause scratches. The optional Dyson Soft Fluffy Cleaner Head not only eliminates the possibility of scratching wood, it greatly improves large debris cleaning performance.
Mini Motorized Tool
One of the most important features of the V8 Animal is the included Mini Motorized Tool. You will find this tool to be indispensable for dealing with pet hair and dirt on stairs, upholstery and pet bedding. It provides the necessary agitation to dig out hair and even pet dander from fabric and carpet pile.
Dyson has equipped the V8 Animal with Full Machine HEPA Filtration that includes a washable lifetime filter. It received the coveted Certification from the American Asthma and Allergy Friendly Association. It utilizes a Washable and Reusable Pre-Motor Filter that should be replaced periodically for optimum performance.
One of the features you will really appreciate with the Dyson V8 Animal is the .56 dry quart dust cup capacity. Although its about 30% smaller than the new V11 Animal, its larger than some of the other current top-rated pet cordless vacuums.
What I really like about the V8 Animal dust cup is the clever dumping mechanism. All you have to do to empty the dirt is lift up on the red release tab located on top. This trips the trap door and at the same time lifting the cyclone apparatus, stripping off any stuck debris, fur balls, dust bunnies, or carpet fibers.
This greatly reduces the typical dust puff associated with emptying a bagless vacuum. Plus, it eliminates having to reach in with a stick or your fingers to dig it out – Yuck! This is so much more hygienic than most battery-powered stick vacuums.
Watch this Detailed Customer Review VIDEO!
- 2-in-1 Handheld Vac: Converts to a Versatile cord-free hand vacuum for above-floor cleaning
- Full Machine HEPA Filtration: 99.97% of allergy-causing particulates are trapped
- Runtime: Up to 25 min. w/ motorized tool, and up to 40 min. using non-motorized tool
- Large Point-n-Shoot Dust Cup: Holds .56 dry quarts and completely eliminates digging with fingers
- Direct Drive Cleaner Head: Delivers excellent performance on *hard floors and medium pile carpet
- Mini Motorized Tool: Removes pet hair and dirt from carpeted stairs, upholstery, and pet bedding
- Light Weight: 5.8 lb’s enables easy operation on floor and overhead
- Swivel Steering: Exceptionally maneuverability around obstacles
- Included: Combo Tool, Crevice Tool, Mini Motorized Tool, Soft Dusting Brush, Wall Mount Docking Station, and Charger
- Warranty: 2 Year Dyson Warranty
- Excellent med. pile carpet performance
- Excellent *hard floor performance
- HEPA-Level Filtration
- Point-n-Shoot hygienic dust cup
- Mini Motorized Tool for tough tasks
- Not free-standing
- Must hold trigger in to operate
- Non removable battery
- No headlights
The Dyson V8 Animal Vacuum truly is one of the all time best selling cordless vacuums for dealing with pet hair. Its the ideal choice for the pet owner whose home has *hard floors, area rugs, and low to medium pile carpet.
If you have hardwood or engineered flooring I highly recommend that you invest in the optional Dyson Soft Fluffy Cleaner Head or consider another model such as those recommended here.
The Mini Motorized Tool is a very important feature you should consider. You will find it indispensable when it comes to those difficult above-floor tasks that require power cleaning.
Although it doesn’t deliver the run time of some of the more recent models, 25 minutes in normal mode with a motorized tool is plenty of time to do most day to day cleaning jobs. Personally, I prefer a removable battery but the built-in design of the V8 Animal has its advantages also.
The Dyson V8 Animal cordless stick vacuum offers the pet lover a reliable and affordable alternative to the newer, more pricy models available. Although its an older design, it has remained one of the best cordless stick vacuum for pet hair currently available in today’s market.Check Latest Price* Click here to see easy payment plan at Amazon.
Take Me to COMPARISON TABLE
MOST UNIQUE FEATURES
#5 Kenmore Elite SSV 2-in-1 Complete DS6028 Cordless Vacuum
The name Kenmore is synonymous with reliability. Several generations have relied on the parent company, Sears to provide quality products at a fair price.
The Kenmore Elite SSV 2-in-1 Complete DS6028 Cordless is designed to be a whole-house, multi-floor vacuum cleaner. It has some unique features that make it an excellent choice if you have a cat or dog in your household.
With a high performance digital motor that produces over 40 inches of water lift, the Kenmore Elite SSV Complete has all the suction power necessary to clean low to medium carpet and hard floors.
With Two Power Settings, the Kenmore Elite SSV 2-in-1 Complete DS6028 was able to pull dust, dirt, and debris from med. carpet in the Low setting.
Unlike other cordless stick vacuums, the Kenmore Elite SSV 2-in-1 Complete DS6028 features a telescoping wand that extends out to 29″
(48″ overall machine length) for those hard to reach overhead areas. Or, it collapses to 19 1/4″ for cleaning stairs or easy storage.
Motorized Pet PowerMate
This machine comes with a Motorized Pet PowerMate tool that is ideal for cleaning the shed pet hair that ends up on bedding or upholstery. It can be used on carpeted stairs, although the Carpet Floor Nozzle is a better way to get the job done.
If your’e concerned about the air you breathe the Kenmore Elite SSV is equipped with a Sealed HEPA Filtration. This system captures 99.97% of dust particles as tiny as 0.3 microns. It arrests those allergy-triggering offenders such as mold spores, pollen, pet dander, and dust mite feces.
The air that is expelled from this machine is actually cleaner than the air in the room.
Two Floor Nozzles
If you happen to have carpet and area rugs as well as hard floors in your home, the Kenmore Elite SSV DS6028 comes with two floor nozzles:
(1) Carpet Floor Nozzle with stiff bristles on the motorized brush roll for aggressive removal of deep-down dirt and hair.
(2) Hard Floor Nozzle with plush microfiber bristles to dust your floors and to prevent kicking of large debris such as dry pet food or cereal.
For my carpet performance tests I used the Carpet Floor Nozzle and the Low Suction setting.
The Kenmore Elite SSV Complete DS6028 easily removed 96% of trampled down rice from medium pile carpet. 100% of clipped hair was removed from the med. carpet and a mixture of coffee, oatmeal, and dry pet food was also easily removed.
All test media was easily and safely removed from my hardwood floors using the Hard Floor Nozzle and the Low Suction setting.
Watch this Cleaning Performance Test Video!
NOTE: The audio in this video is not an accurate representation of the actual sound of the product.
- 25.2 Volt Lithium-ion Removable Battery: Flexible charging in or out of the vacuum cleaner. Charge Level Indicator on handle of machine
- Carpet Nozzle: Brush roll has stiff bristles for aggressive carpet pile cleaning. EasyCut feature to cut tangled hair from brush roll w/ press of button. LED Dirt Sensor lets you know when dirt is detected
- Hard Floor Nozzle: Brush roll has soft microfiber bristles for a gentle dust mop effect and easy cleaning of large debris
- Easy Empty Dust Cup: 1.66 dry cup (.4 liters) capacity, special design protects trap door from breakage
- LED Headlamps: See where the dirt is hiding, even in a dimly lit room
- Swivel Steering: 180 degree maneuverability lets you easily steer around obstacles
- Light Weight: 6.0 lbs. for easy operation and one hand overhead cleaning
- Detachable Hand Vacuum: Converts to a powerful hand vacuum for cleaning furniture, stairs, shelves, and hard to reach areas
- Motorized Pet PowerMate: Perfect for cleaning pet hair and dirt from carpeted stairs, pet bedding and upholstery
- HEPA Filtration: Easily removable and washable HEPA media traps 99.97% of find dust, pet dander, pollen, and dust mites as tiny as 0.3 microns
- Telescoping Wand: Extends out to 29 inches (48″ overall machine length) to reach those high ceiling fan blades, cob webs, vents, and other above-floor areas.
- Warranty: 1-Year Limited Manufactures Warranty
- Strong cleaning performance
- Extension wand adjusts for reach
- Flexible charging system
- HEPA Filtration is 99.97% effective
- Long Hair Cut feature
- Easy to empty dust cup
- Not freestanding
- Inconvenient tool release tabs
The Kenmore Elite SSV 2-in-1 Complete DS6028 is equipped with helpful features for pet owners typically only found in models costing twice as much. Powerful suction and two floor nozzles for carpet and hard floors make the Kenmore Elite usable throughout the whole house. A Mini Motorized Pet Tool lets you tackle pet hair on bedding, upholstery, and on stairs. The easy empty dust cup is one of the best designs I have seen.
An easy access Sealed HEPA Filtration system that traps pet dander and other particulates that can trigger an allergic reaction is another huge feature. The Kenmore Elite SSV 2-in-1 Complete DS6028 offers excellent value in a cordless pet hair vacuum for a modest price.
Check Latest Price* Click here to see lowest price on Amazon
Take Me to COMPARISON TABLE
#6 Shark Rocket Pet Pro Cordless (IZ162H)
This distinctive looking cordless stick vacuum from SharkNinja was designed especially for pet owners. Boasting 181 Watts of suction power, the Shark Rocket Pet Pro Cordless (IZ162H) easily removes pet hair from carpet and hardwood floors. It’s only slightly less powerful than the Dyson V11 with 185 Watts but much more sensibly priced.
CleanTouch™ Dirt Ejector System
One of the most frequent complaints pet owners have is emptying the dust cup. Clumps of pet hair tend to get stuck and won’t fall out without digging it out with your fingers or a stick. Yuck!
The Shark Rocket Pet Pro Cordless (IZ162H) addresses that problem with their patented new CleanTouch™ Dirt Ejector System.
This design upgrade amounts to a high-capacity dust cup designed to handle those long cleaning sessions and holds lots of dirt, dust, and hair before emptying. And when it is time to empty, simply press the Knob and watch those yucky clumps fall into the trash can without touching it. Instead of depending on gravity to get the job done it utilizes the mechanical action that forces the clumps of dirt out. This system is so much more hygienic and saves time as well.
Dirt Engage™ Technology
Another issue some pet owners have with cordless stick vacs is that long hair tends to get wrapped around the motor-powered roller. Previously, the operator had to stop vacuuming and clip and pull the strands of hair off the roller before continuing vacuuming.
SharkNinja solved that problem with their new Self-cleaning brush roll with Dirt Engage™ technology that eliminates Hair Wrap!
Not only does this advanced feature eliminate hair wrap, it is designed to dig deeper into carpet pile for a complete clean. And when it comes to cleaning up the large debris pets leave around the floor, the Dirt Engage™ Cleaning Head handles that easily. With most vacuums large debris, such as dried pet food and shredded toys, tend to get plowed ahead of the floor brush. Or, some of it get scattered across the room. The Dirt Engage™ system is designed to gobble up large debris from hard floors and on carpet as well.
- Powerful Suction: 181 Watts of Suction Power handles pet hair and dirt easily
- Dirt Engage™ Cleaning Head: Directly engages floors and removes deeply embedded debris and pet hair from carpet.
- Anti-Hair Wrap Technology: Actively prevents long hair wrap on brush roll
- CleanTouch™ Dirt Ejector System: Eliminates having to reach into dust cup to remove clumps of hair
- Bright LED Headlamps: Shows you where the dirt is hiding
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal HEPA Filtration: Traps 99.9% of allergy-triggering pet dander, dust mites, pollen, mold spores, and dust mite feces as tiny as 0.3 microns
- Long Runtime: Up to 40 Minutes in Standard Mode (measured at the hand vacuum intake)
- 2-in-1 Versatility: Converts to Powerful Handheld Vacuum for above-floor cleaning
- Removable Battery: Can be charged in or out of vacuum unit
- Included: Pet Multi-Tool, Crevice Tool, Wall Mount, and Charger
- Warranty: 5 Year Limited
Check Out this Brief Demo VIDEO!
- Powerful 181AW suction
- CleanTouch Dirt Ejector System
- Anti-Hair Wrap feature
- Sealed HEPA Filtration
- Bright LED Headlamps
- User Removable Battery
- Not freestanding
- No motorized mini brush
As usual, the engineers at SharkNinja have been listening to their customers and delivered a product to address their needs. The Rocket Pet Pro Cordless (IZ162H) is currently one of the best cordless stick vacuums especially designed for the pet owner.
A highly desirable feature is the Removable Battery Pack allows you to charge both in and out of the vacuum unit.
In my experience I have never regretted recommending a SharkNinja product and the (IZ162H) is no exception. This is a very nice cordless vacuum that will save you time and make cleaning up after your pets so much easier! It offers a lot of dedicated pet-friendly features at a sensible price!
Check Latest Price* Click here to see special easy payment plan on Amazon
Compare Features and Specs of Cordless Pet Hair Vacuums
What to Look for When Choosing a Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair
Since most homes have a combination of floor types it’s important to choose a cordless vacuum that is designed to work effectively on the flooring you have in your home. And since pets shed their hair almost everywhere, a cordless pet hair vacuum should have the necessary features and attachments for above-floor cleaning.
Every since the cordless vacuum cleaner revolution began a few years ago I have had the experience of researching and reviewing a multitude of battery-powered stick vacuum models. I have learned by experience there are six (6) key features or qualities the machine must have for it to work well for removing pet hair and other pet messes.
The most important feature to look for when selecting a vacuum is Powerful Suction. Unfortunately, some manufactures tend to be secretive about their product’s suction rating to discourage you from comparing their product to their competitors.
As you research different vacuum cleaner models you will see suction ratings given in Air Watts, KPA’s, and Water Lift. Each of these are suction rating systems that take into consideration air flow (CFM) and the ability of the vacuum motor to lift a test media. The Water Lift rating system is actually the best system to gauge a vacuum cleaners suction power. But keep in mind that suction is not the only factor that determines how well a machine actually cleans.
The design of the floor nozzle is almost as important as the suction. If the aerodynamics are not right, even the most powerful suction won’t pick up the dirt.To be able to pull out pet hair and dander from low to medium pile carpet the suction should be (generally speaking) rated at 100AW (Air Watts) minimum. If your home has high or plush pile carpet you need about 150AW suction power or even more.The bottom line is how well the vacuum cleaner actually performs regardless of the suction rating.
Motor-Powered Brush Roll
A motor powered brush roll is just as important as powerful suction when it comes to removing pet hair from your floors. In fact, no matter how strong the suction a vacuum cleaner produces it has virtually no chance of removing pet hair once it has become entwined in carpet fibers. Depending on the breed of animal, the shaft of a pet hair has a rough scaly surface that makes it difficult to remove from the carpet pile. The mechanical agitation of a brush is absolutely necessary to loosen it from the grip of the pile and move it into the suction zone so it can be conveyed into the dirt cup.
Sufficient Run Time
The biggest perceived advantage of a cordless vacuum is the convenience of not having to deal with a long power cord every time you operate it. But there’s no net gain if your machine doesn’t provide enough Run Time to get the job done between charges. The moment you press the power button, the clock begins ticking. My recommendation is to select either a model with Removable Battery Pack. This allows you to swap out the depleted one for a freshly charged one and keep on cleaning. Or, choose a Model with one, built-in battery that allows you as mush operating time as you require.
Pet hair takes up a lot of space so it’s important to choose a vacuum cleaner model that has ample Dirt Cup capacity. Otherwise you will be spending too much time having to stop and empty the cup causing a net loss as far as convenience and time saving goes. This is another area where I where I have seen improvements in the battery-powered vacuum cleaner industry.
Our home should be a safe haven from air pollution as much as possible. You’re probably aware that pets shed more than just their fur. They also shed pet dander that attracts dust mites and dust mites leave feces in pet bedding and in your carpet or upholstery. This cycle can become an allergy sufferer’s nightmare. The top-rated Cordless Vacuums feature filtration systems that will trap up to 99% of unhealthy particulates and keep them from being exhausted back in to the air you breathe.
Surprisingly, most allergens found in the home are larger than 1.0 micron. That includes dust particles and pollen. Pet dander is actually around 1.5 to 2.0 microns. So, although you want the best filtration possible, a machine with a sealed filtration system and sponge or paper media will capture the allergens.
(SEE: Effective Filtration Is a Critical Feature for All Vacuum Cleaners )
It’s important that your new cordless pet hair vacuum has sufficient features and attachments to deal with all the messes pet owners typically encounter. Most of the newer generation of Cordless Stick Vacuums easily convert to a convenient handheld unit. This works extremely well for dealing with dirt, debris, plus hair on stairs, furniture, and above-floor areas. Also, the more attachments that come with your new vacuum, the better!
A Whole Lot of Pet Hair!
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) the total number of households in the US that own pets is 79,463,000. That’s a lot of pets and a whole lot of pet hair! If you share your home with a cat or dog you want to choose the best possible Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair to help make your life easier.
Removing a pet’s hair from our home is the ultimate challenge for any type of vacuum cleaner. Until a few short years ago it was considered a job only for a well-designed and powerful corded vacuum – and perhaps only wishful thinking that someday a cordless vacuum could ever successfully rise to the challenge.
Someday has arrived! The latest DC digital motor and lithium battery technology has made that wish a reality.
The top-rated cordless vacuums now have enough power and sufficient operating time to take on almost any cleaning task.
Why a Cordless Stick Vacuum May Be Your Best Option for Cleaning Pet Hair!
Besides the absence of a cord to deal with, many pet owners are attracted to these engineering marvels because they are very light weight and easy to handle.
This characteristic is especially important for above-floor and overhead cleaning. As pet hair knows no bounds, it ends up on furniture, stairs, bedding and even in the car.
That’s makes for some pretty tough cleaning when using a bulky and heavy plug in vacuum.
A typical cordless stick vacuum only weighs between 4 to 7 pounds, making it a “light duty” floor care appliance. Compare that to the average corded upright vacuum that weighs two to three times that much.
Until recently a traditional corded vacuum was necessary to do the heavy lifting when it came to cleaning. That was especially true when it came to extracting dirt and pet hair from carpet.
Some of the newest, top-rated cordless stick vacuums can generate up to 80 inches of water lift and up to 185 Air Watts of suction power. That’s enough suction to extract trampled down, embedded dirt and hair from low to medium pile carpet. And with the right amount of mechanical agitation from a motorized floor brush, it can even deep clean some of the long pile carpet styles.
The Truth you Should Know about Cordless Pet Hair Vacuums
Convenience demands Compromise!
Obviously, a cordless vacuum depends on an on-board battery for its power source. Therefore, in order to keep the weight manageable the battery must be relatively small. This compromise limits the amount of operating time that can be obtained on a single charge. However, this in turn, limits the amount of cleaning you can accomplish before having to re-charge the battery.
Until recently that compromise was a significant issue for pet owners. However, the latest cordless models are equipped with more efficient batteries that allow longer run times. With the exception of really dirty floors, in most instances a moderate size house can be cleaned in a half hour or so.
For those of us who have larger homes the most current battery-powered models feature Run Times of up to one hour on a single charge. While other top models feature a removable battery pack. With an Optional 2nd battery pack the run time can actually be doubled, giving the operator plenty of time to finish any cleaning task.