Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Vacuum, REVIEW
By William | November 19, 2016
Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Vacuum
Overall Cleaning Performance9.0/10
- Powerful Suction
- Up to 40 min. runtime (25 min. w/ motorized floor brush.)
- Very Light Weight @ 5.8 lbs
- Whole-house versatility
- Strong cleaning performance on hardwood floors & all carpet
- Price point is high
- Battery cannot be changed while on-the-fly
- Small Dust Cup
- Relatively short 2 Year Warranty
A Critical Review of the NEW Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Stick Vacuum!
The Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free is a light-weight 2-in-1 CORDLESS Stick vacuum designed for all floor types and whole-house cleaning capability.
Dyson’s V8 Absolute Cord-Free Stick Vacuum is their latest offering in a long progression of improvements over earlier Dyson cordless stick models.
It is the successor of the highly popular Dyson V6 Series. It derives its name from the more powerful V8 Digital Motor.
Some are hailing the new Dyson V8 Absolute Stick as..
“…the Ultimate Cordless Stick Vacuum!” And “a Cordless Alternative to an Upright Vacuum!”
- Extremely Light-Weight at only 5.8 pounds
- Up to 40 min. of powerful suction, 25 min. w/ motorized floor brush
- Converts to a powerful Hand-Held vacuum for total versatility
- Direct Drive Motor-Powered Brush for deep cleaning carpet
- Soft Roller Cleaning Head for cleaning Hardwood Floors
- Whole-Machine HEPA Level Filtration for allergy sufferers
- Includes: Combo Tool, Crevice Tool, Mini Motorized Tool, Soft Dusting Brush
- 2 Year Dyson Warranty
Watch this Cool Demo VIDEO!
REVIEW of the Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Stick Vacuum!
When it comes to Cordless vacuum cleaner technology, Dyson has been leading the charge (pardon my pun).
Dyson’s cord-free light weight Stick Vacuum models represent a progressive evolution of both Battery and Digital D/C Motor development.
The Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Stick is their latest offering that has crossed the boundary of a handy grab-n-go vacuum for quick clean ups to a serious option for a primary vacuum in smaller homes.
One of the notable improvements of the V8 Absolute over the highly successful V6 series is an increase of suction power from 100 Air Watts to 115 Air Watts (an air watt is a unit of suction power used to measure a vacuum cleaners suction. It’s the combination of air flow plus the power produced in terms of watts.) And at the same time, Dyson has reduced the motor noise to only 70 decibels.
A much-needed increase in Dirt Cup capacity from .11 Gallons to .148 Gallons. That’s definitely an improvement but small compared with the Shark IONFlex DuoClean Cordless Ultra-Light Vacuum (IF201) at .750 Gallons. (SEE: Side-by-Side Comparisons Below)
The clever new Hygienic Dirt Cup emptying design and a Sealed HEPA-Level filtration system make the V8 Absolute Stick a smart choice for Allergy and Asthma sufferers.
These significant improvements have increased the weight by .6 lbs. to only 5. 7 lbs. total weight. The increase in price over the V6 is a little more significant!
Dyson V8 Absolute Cleaning Performance
The overall cleaning performance of the Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Stick is impressive compared with other Cordless Stick Vacuums!
Two of the main limiting factors of CORDLESS DC powered vacuums VS Corded AC powered vacuums are – Suction and Runtime.
Dyson’s engineers have figured out how to squeeze 150% more power at the cleaning head compared to their very successful V6 Series.
This increase in brush power enables the V8 Absolute Cordless to do what a full-size AC Powered Upright vacuum is able to do – deep clean low pile to lush deep pile carpet.
An Increase of battery capacity and efficiency gives the V8 Absolute enough juice to deliver that power up to 40 Minutes (with Vacuum Only) and up to 25 Minutes with the direct-drive motorized floor brush.
These two significant improvements are why some are saying the Dyson V8 Absolute is a Primary Vacuum Cleaner option for some homes.
Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free COMPARISON Testing
Comparison Testing of the Dyson V8 Absolute has demonstrated comparable cleaning ability on all flooring surfaces (including lush carpet) with that of a full-size Dyson corded upright.
But, keep in mind the vacuum head or cleaning path on the V8 is only 8.8 in. compared to 12 in. on a corded upright.
So, although the cleaning performance is approximately equal the cleaning capacity isn’t. So were really not comparing apples to apples.
The Dyson V8 Absolute as a Pet Hair Vacuum
The increased power enables the Dyson V8 Direct-Drive cleaner head to drive the Carbon Fiber bristles deeper into the carpet fiber to remove embedded dirt and pet hair.
Although the Dust Bin capacity has been increased over earlier models, the V8’s .148 Gallon Dust Cup will fill up pretty fast if you have a large shedding dog in the house. Also READ: Best Cordless Vacuum for Pet Hair
Hardwood Floor Cleaning Performance of the V8 Absolute Cord-Free
Perhaps the greatest value of the Dyson V8 Absolute is its hardwood floor cleaning capabilities.
The addition of the newly developed Soft Roller Cleaning Head (designed especially for hardwood floors) was designed primarily for cleaning large debris such as Lucky Charms cereal or Kibble & Bits dog food without slinging it all over the room and without damaging hardwood floors.
This MicroFiber Soft Roller also does a good job of removing fine clingy dust from the floor surface.
The hardwood floor cleaning capability of the Dyson V8 Absolute makes it a contender for one of the best hardwood floor vacuums in any price range.
Operation of the Dyson V8 Absolute
The Dyson V8 has a natural feel in the hand. Dyson has moved the center of gravity closer to the handle, making it almost effortless to vacuum. It feels more like the V8 is supporting your hand, rather than you hand supporting the V8.
To operate the V8 Absolute, the trigger switch must be held back while cleaning. This instantly activates the motor and motorized brush attachments when attached.
The trigger pull on the V8 is very light and is actually part of a natural grip.
It releases instantly, stopping the motor and all consumption of power. So, if your fingers are arthritic this should present no issue.
There is not an On/Off mode on the V8. Dyson did this to conserve battery power when it isn’t being used for cleaning.
Dyson has provided a Maximum Power function for a short burst of extra Power to suck up larger debris like coins, rocks, marbles, etc.
Its easily activated with a slide switch on top of the motor.
Converting the V8 Absolute to Hand-Held mode is quick and seamless.
The aluminum extension tube or wand detaches by depressing a button at the base of the housing. Attachments such as the Mini Motorized Tool or the Multi-Brush easily snap into place, creating a secure connection. The Hand-Held mode addresses one of the most difficult to clean areas in the home – STAIRS!
Along with one hand operation this makes the V8 Absolute one of the best Vacuums for Stairs I have reviewed.
The V8 Absolute also comes with a Combination Tool which works well for cleaning in the handheld mode or with the wand attached for above-floor areas.
Over the course of my years as a IICRC Certified Floor Care Technician I have observed that a lot of my customers tend to put off vacuuming because it can be a physical workout.
It is a hassle to drag out a 15 to 22 pound upright, unwind the cord, wrestle it around the house, wind up the cord, and then put it away.
At only 5.8 pounds a physically challenged person can easily handle the Dyson V8 and lift it overhead with one hand to clean drapes, blinds, ceiling fan blades, etc.
Vacuuming the floors with the Dyson V8 Absolute requires so much less effort (I want to say fun) than with a full-size upright. I guess you could say the Dyson V8 is “an excuse eliminator!”
Both the motorized Floor Brush and hardwood floor Soft Roller Swivel, making the V8 Absolute even easier to navigate around obstacles.
Great build quality is what you would expect from any high-end vacuum, and the Dyson V8 is no exception!
Each of the plastic injection molded parts fit together to create a rigid quality feel in the hand. All of the attachments snap on or off flawlessly.
The colorful anodized aluminum wand adds the necessary rigidity for such a slim vacuum.
Filtration Performance and Allergy-Friendliness
There are two issues that can make vacuuming your home a dreaded chore, especially if you or someone in your home has a respiratory or allergy illness.
If a vacuum is not equipped with adequate filtration it will recirculate a lot of allergen-laden dust back into the room and the air we breath, possibly triggering an allergic event.
Dyson has equipped the V8 Absolute Cordless with Whole-Machine HEPA filtration. The filter is washable and should last indefinitely.
The second issue is when the dust cup or dirt bin is full and needs emptying. Every bagless vacuum I have reviewed will allow some amount of dust to puff out and escape in the air when you empty it.
Dyson has addressed this issue with the most clever Dust Cup emptying system I have seen.
To empty the dust cup simply pull up on the red release Latch on the top of the machine. This trips the trap door dumping lose dirt and at the same time raises the cyclone apparatus up, stripping off any dirt, hair, or debris that is clinging to the Cyclone column.
This clever design has solved the problem of having to reach in with your fingers or a stick and dig out the nasty stuff, and it greatly reduces any dust cloud.
These two significant improvements make the Dyson V8 one of the most hygienic vacuums to own.
- The Dyson V8 Absolute is one of the best Hardwood Floor Vacuums I have reviewed in all categories.
If you are looking for the versatility and convenience of a cordless vacuum, and the cleaning power of a full-size upright, the Dyson V8 Absolute is about the best options currently available.
- The Hand-Held feature and light weight expand the usefulness and functionality of the Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free to a class of its own…for the time being!
- All the tools and accessories you need for whole-house cleaning are included, plus the charger and wall mount.
- Dust Cup is small at only .148 gallons.
- The overall quality of the Dyson V8 is excellent!
- The Dyson V8 Absolute is one of the best Hardwood Floor Vacuums I have reviewed in all categories.
- Dyson has set the price of their high-end V8 Absolute Cord Free Stick Vacuum to a level that may place it out of reach of many homeowners with cramped budgets. Although the convenience and whole-house capability may make it well worth the price.
- The Battery is not designed to be swapped out while operating the vacuum so you can extend the runtime. Although the battery is easily replaced by anyone who can operate a screw driver and tackle removing 3 screws (SEE Dyson Customer Support Video and Replacement Battery for the Dyson V8 Absolute at Amazon, the ability to swap batteries on-the-fly would double the runtime of the V8 making it an option for a primary vacuum in larger homes.
- After a few minutes of operation the handle of the V8 Absolute gets warm. Not enough to burn or to require putting it down, but it is definitely noticeable. This is the result of having the grip in such close proximity to the motor and battery. This may be the reason Dyson opted not to design the V8 for quick battery change capability.
- Dust Cup is small at only.
- Relatively short warranty of only 2 years compared to other top-rated Cordless Stick Vacuums (SEE: Side-by-Side Comparisons Below). At the current price point I would expect Dyson to have more confidence in this product.
- The most obvious “Con” of the Dyson V8 Absolute is that it will not stand upright on its own. It is necessary to lay it down or against something when you stop vacuuming. Or, return it to its Wall-Mount Charging Station that is included.
Recommendation and Thoughts
The Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free stick vacuum fills the role of a very Handy, Grab-n-Go, Versatile vacuum cleaner with whole-house cleaning capability. It is a light-weight vacuum intended for generally light-weight cleaning, even though it has comparable performance with top corded uprights.
If your home is small to medium size the Dyson V8 Absolute might make sense as a primary vacuum. You would need to consider if you can accomplish all your cleaning plans within the 25 minute runtime limit.
The V8 Absolute will work for larger homes if you are the type of person who keeps your floors in relatively clean condition and vacuums often, using the V8 mostly for maintaining your floors – doing touch-ups and light cleaning.
I would like to see Dyson address the Heat issue and the Battery changing issue. It seems to me the ability to swap batteries to double the runtime would increase the market reach of the V8.
All considered, the Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Stick vacuum is an amazing example of vacuum cleaner technology and I highly recommend it. Will
Contents at a Glance
- Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Vacuum
- A Critical Review of the NEW Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Stick Vacuum!
- REVIEW of the Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Stick Vacuum!
- Recommendation and Thoughts