Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC, REVIEW
By William | June 28, 2021
Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Overall Cleaning Performance9.0/10
- Powerful suction
- Good overall cleaning performance
- Excellent pet hair cleaning performance
- Effective HEPA Filtration
- 5 Year Manufacture's Warranty
- No Auto Cord Rewind
- Brackets may not hold hose if twisted
A Detailed Review of the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner!
In this comprehensive review of the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC Upright Bagless Vacuum cleaner I will be examining the features, build quality, and cleaning performance. I will disclose what I believe are significant Pros as well as Cons you should be aware of and offer my opinion and recommendations to help you decide if this is the right vacuum cleaner for you.
The Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC is a full-size corded, upright bagless vacuum cleaner designed for households with fur-shedding pets and multiple floor types. Additionally, it is equipped with features and accessories to efficiently clean all surfaces above-floors.
Hoover – A Brief Company History
To the younger generations Hoover is just another name. However, to those of us who have treaded this earth for more than a few decades the name Hoover is synonymous with vacuum cleaner.
The very first upright vacuum cleaner was invented by James Murray Spangler who suspected that his janitorial job at an Ohio department store was the cause of his asthmatic aliment. After refining his invention he obtained a patent and later sold it to his cousin’s husband, William Henry Hoover and his son Herbert William Hoover Sr for $35,000.
The Hoover father and son team founded the Electric Suction Sweeper Company and later, upon the death of Spangler, renamed the company the Hoover Suction Sweeper Company.
Currently known as The Hoover Company, this US corporation has become a household name when it comes to moderately-priced floor care appliances that offer reliable performance and excellent value.
As the floorcare industry has evolved, so has Hoover’s engineering department by rethinking the way vacuum cleaners should operate. Their corded and cordless vacuum cleaner models offer the latest cleaning technology at affordable prices.
Check Out this Real Life In-Home Customer VIDEO Review!
The Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC is a culmination of over 100 years of experience building vacuum cleaners. Although my own personal experience with Hoover vacuums has been very positive, that’s not to suggest that here hasn’t been some flops along the way. However, to their credit, the Hoover Company seems to learn from their mistakes and corrects them moving forward.
When I first set eyes on the new Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC I sensed it might turn out to be a real winner. It displays all the features that a discerning customer expects but looks can be deceitful. The price is in that comfortable range that most can afford but that’s no guarantee you will receive good value. So, I decided I had to do a complete detailed review of the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC and share it with anyone interested.
Lets start by taking a close look at the way the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC is built.
When considering a new vacuum cleaner model I believe it’s critically important to access the build quality. I tend to be somewhat overly critical because of my engineering background but perhaps that’s a good thing.
As you would expect, the injection molded plastic parts that form the body all fit together as they should with no gaps or mismatches. Hoover uses virgin polymers in their process which produce stronger parts and they typically display more vibrant colors and a better finish than recycled polymers.
Hoover designates the motor as the MAXLife™ which they claim will “lasts 3 times longer.” That claim is rather vague as there doesn’t seem to be any reliable source of unbias test results to verify it. However, there is plenty of antidotal evidence to support it which can be found by researching the available customer reviews.
In my experience Hoover has traditionally used good quality, powerful motors that just keep on ticking like my old Hoover so far.
Attachments (Cleaning Tools)
Like other Hoover models I have reviewed the attachments that come with the MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel are not spectacular, but they do work and work well!
Hoover has outfitted the MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC with an array of highly functional attachments that included: a uniquely designed Pet Upholstery Tool, an effective Dusting Brush, and a Crevice Tool.
The Pet Upholstery Tool works extremely well for removing pet hair from upholstery and pet bedding. When it comes to removing the dust from furniture the Dusting Brush works great without damaging fine wood finishes. Easily reach dirt in narrow tight places with the Crevice tool.
Each cleaning tool does the job it was designed to do and each one attaches to the vacuum cleaner so their at your fingertips when you need them.
The attachments is they are designed with a Press-on Friction Fit vs a Snap-On design like you would find on more expensive vacuum cleaners. There’s nothing unique about this design since most other moderately priced vacuums are made the same way. The only problem with this concept is if you don’t press an attachment on tight enough it may come loose or fall off. Of course, the harder you press an attachment on the harder you must pull to remove it. Accordingly, this could be an issue if you are a physically challenged or an elderly person with painful arthritic hands.
Hose Support Clamps
I found the clamps that are designed to hold the stretch hose in place when not being used to be somewhat deficient. If the hose is twisted when inserted in the clamp it may slip out while vacuuming which can be annoying.
So that brings up the question of “just how long should I expect the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC to last?” My answer to that question is only an educated guess based on my experience, customer reviews, and the manufactures warranty. Since Hoover warrants this vacuum for 5 Years I would expect a minimum product life of five years or longer.
Function and Performance
The two most important questions to be answered about the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC are:
- How does it function? and
- How does it perform?
- Swivel Steering: The Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC is equipped with Swivel Steering which makes it easy to steer with just a slight turn of the wrist. Intuitively negotiate obstacles such as furniture without having to man-handle the vacuum.
- Ergonomically Designed Handle: Another feature that makes operation of the model UH74220PC easier is the ergonomically designed handle that enables a comfortable and natural grip.
- Conveniently Located Power Button: The Power Button is conveniently located just behind the dirt canister on the left side. Although, I prefer the switch on the handle, that would not be possible on this design because the handle comes off when you use the wand.
- ON/OFF Brush Roll Selector Switch: The Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220P has a Brush Roll ON/OFF Selector Switch located directly behind the power switch. This is an important feature for transitioning from carpet to hard floors.
- Scatter Guard: A major complaint with many upright vacuums is its tendentancy to scatter debris such as cereal or dry pet food when vacuuming on hard floor surfaces. The MAXLife Pro Pet is designed with a guard that keeps debris in the suction zone so it can be lifted up and into the dirt bin.
- Suction Control: Powerful suction is great for many applications but it can cause Suction Lock when vacuuming soft or long pile plush carpet. This condition makes it difficult or impossible to push a vacuum. By simply backing off on the suction this problem is eliminated. Suction Control is important when cleaning drapes, shears, or light weight area rugs also.
- Easy-Empty Dirt Bin: The Dirt Bin on the MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220P is easy to remove and easy to empty for the most part. Like most bagless uprights some of the dirt, hair, and carpet fibers tend to stick to the ribs of the trap door that requires and extra shake to remove. Because of improvements in the cyclonic apparatus debris is much less prone to sticking.
- 30 Foot Long Power Cord: Maximize your cleaning time by minimizing the number of times you need to change receptacles.
- Headlamps: The MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220P is equipped with dual banks of (3) each Powerful LED lamps that light up the floor well ahead of the nozzle so you don’t miss any dirt.
Compared to other upright bagless vacuum cleaners the MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220P receives high marks when it comes to function.
When deciding on which vacuum cleaner to purchase, cleaning performance should be the number one consideration.
Carpet Cleaning Performance
The MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220P has more than enough suction power to extract stubborn pet hair, dirt, and debris hiding deep down in long pile carpet. Testing has shown it has the ability to pick up dirt that the Dyson Ball Animal leaves behind.
The brush roll automatically adjusts for cleaning all carpet pile lengths. The MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220P is very effective for removing long pet hair from thick pile carpet.
Hard Floor Cleaning Performance
When it comes to cleaning hard floors the MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220P will not disappoint! With the brush roll in the OFF mode the powerful suction gobbles up loose dirt, dry pet food, hair and debris with ease. I recommend going back over the hard floor a second time with the brush roll in the ON mode to remove any clingy dust that may be sticking to the floor surface by static electricity.
Unlike most upright vacuums, the MAXLife Pro Pet won’t sling or scatter large debris with the Brush Roll on.
Edge Cleaning Performance
As with ever other Hoover upright I have reviewed, the MAXLife Pro Pet’s edge cleaning performance is excellent, especially on hard floors. You may still need to use the wand and dusting brush or crevice tool to get that last bit of dust and debris.
When it comes time to tackle the dirt above the floor the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC makes it an easy job. The detachable handle easily and quickly converts to a wand that allows you to attack dirt on any level. The array of attachments make it possible to clean upholstery, shelves, air vents, and blinds. With a 13 foot extended reach you will be able to easily clean those ceiling fan blades or those hard to reach cob webs along the ceiling.
A handy Slide Suction Control enables you reduce the suction power for cleaning drapes and delicate shears.
One of the most important features of any vacuum cleaner is it’s ability to trap fine dust particles instead of blowing them back into the air you breathe. Pollen, dust mites, and dust mite feces can trigger respiratory allergies if stirred up and recirculated into the room.
The Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC is outfitted with a Sealed HEPA Filtration System that captures 99% of fine dust and harmful allergens. This filter utilizes Activated Carbon to absorb and prevent stinky pet odors from being exhausted in the room. You can expect approximately 24 months of service before replacing. As of June 27, 2021 a Replacement Filter for the MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC is only available at Hoover for approx. $15 bucks.
- Exceptional powerful suction
- Very good overall cleaning performance
- Solid design
- Bright headlamps
- Excellent pet hair cleaning performance
- Impressive edge cleaning performance
- Highly effective HEPA Filtration
- Long 5 Year Warranty
- No auto cord rewind
- Clamps may not hold hose if twisted
- Model #: UH74220PC
- Dimensions: 33.1″ H x 14.2″ L x 13.3″ W
- Weight: 17.0 lbs
- Power: 1320 Watts, 11 Amps
- Dirt Collection: Bagless
- Dirt Cup Capacity: 1.5 Liters
- Run Time: Up to 40 minutes in Normal suction setting
- Overhead Reach: 13 Feet
- Hose Length: 9 Feet
- Headlamps: 6 LED
- Filtration: HEPA, w/ Odor control
- Cleaning Path: 12.5 inches
After reviewing the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC I am not at all disappointed. In my opinion Hoover has done a good job of combining tried and proven technology and features to produce a truly great multi-floor bagless upright vacuum cleaner that is sensibly priced.
..a Full-Size Vacuum Cleaner
Keep in mind, this is a full-size vacuum cleaner with powerful suction and the capacity to hold 1.5 liters of dirt, dust, debris, and pet hair. Although it has a robust weight of 17 lbs. it also is equipped with Swivel Steering that makes it easy to operate. Accordingly, it may be too heavy for a smaller or elderly person to tote up or down stairs.
If weight is an issue you may want to consider the BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser Turbo Plus Lightweight 24613 which weighs only 14.2 lbs. with similar features and excellent cleaning performance.
One of the features that makes the Hoover MAXLife Pro a great pet hair vacuum is the high capacity dirt cup that is much easier to empty than previous Hoover uprights.
This moderately priced bagless upright is capable of cleaning any room in your house from ceiling to floor.
If you have a large home with one or more fur shedding pets the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC would be hard to beat.
With it’s powerful suction and a motor that is designed to last 3X longer plus a whopping 5 Year Warranty, the Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel UH74220PC is one of the best pet hair vacuums available at any price.