Pro Review of the Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind UH70210!
The Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind UH70210 is a full-size Upright Bagless vacuum designed for the pet owner. It is a moderately priced vacuum with features to assist in cleaning hard and carpeted floors as well as above-floor and overhead areas.
Hoover – the Company
Hoover is headquartered in Glenwillow, OH and is arguably the most recognized name in the vacuum cleaner industry. Over a century old, Hoover has been designing moderately priced floor care appliances that are sold in the USA and other countries.
(UPDATE December 22, 2018: Although the Hoover UH70210 is an older Hoover model, it is still one of the most effective Upright Pet Hair Vacuums available in the Below $150 price range!)
Contents at a Glance
- Hoover WindTunnel technology that provides even suction across the width of the vacuum nozzle
- Powerful Suction to deep clean carpets
- On/Off Brush Roll pedal for cleaning hard floors. Automatically switches to Off Mode when in upright position
- 5 position carpet height adjustment – adjust as needed to clean all flooring types easily and efficiently
- Folding Handle – makes storage a snap, ideal for small storage spaces
- Effective Washable Filters trap fine particulates and prevent recirculating back into the air
- Auto Cord Rewind with 25′ cord – no more winding – gently tap the pedal to activate the 25-foot cord Rewind and retract the cord to store neatly inside
- Included: Turbo Pet Tool to easily remove pet hair from floors and stairs, Pet Upholstery Tool to remove pet hair from furniture, 12 inch Extension Wand and a Crevice tool for tight spots
- 2 Year Hoover Limited Warranty
Watch this Cool VIDEO Demo!
I purchased a Hoover WindTunnel T-Series in 2008. It is a different model # and doesn’t have all of the newer features found on the newer Pet Rewind UH70210. It does have the same powerful and dependable motor as the newer one and even though the auto cord finally quit working a couple months ago I still use it as my primary vacuum as of Dec. 2018. That’s 10 years of service heavier than normal use.
Build Quality of the Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind
The overall build quality of the Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind “t” Series Rewind is generally good especially considering the price point. Like other manufactures Hoover uses a lot of recycled plastic in their injection molded parts to cut down on costs. This results in parts that are not as strong as parts molded from virgin thermo resins like some of the much higher-priced pet hair vacuums.
However, because of the otherwise good engineering, the UH70210 Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind is quite sturdy and does not have that mushy feeling that is common in many lower-priced vacuums.
Function and Performance
Hoover WindTunnel is a proprietary technology that amounts to a system of channels that balance the suction across the full width of the floor nozzle. This means it will clean as well on either side as well as it cleans in the middle of the vacuum head.
The suction power created by the 12 amp motor on the Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind is well in excess of the power necessary to operate the brush bar without stalling in deep carpet pile plus lift the loosened dirt, debris, and hair out of the carpet and transport it to the dirt bin.
The combination of a well-designed air flow system, a properly adjustable brush bar, and a powerful motor are the necessary ingredients for good cleaning characteristics and the 70210 Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind has all Three! This vacuum does an excellent job of vacuuming up dirt and Pet Hair from carpet!
The Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind UH70210 is still one of the best upright vacuums for cleaning carpet.
Wood and Hard Floors
The 70210 Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind features a 5 Position manually adjustable Brush Roll (which I prefer instead of Automatic). This allows you to set the vacuum head down to where the brush roll is just contacting the floor. It also has a Foot-Operated On/Off pedal which disengages the brush roll so it doesn’t fling dirt and debris away from the vacuum head.
My old Hoover WindTunnel does a very good job of picking up all the debris that ends up on my hardwood floors and tile floors from my 4 parrots (fancy chickens) when used like this.
However, it does leave behind some fine dust particles. I have found that the best way to clean hardwood floors with the Hoover WindTunnel-T is to use an Optional Hard Floor Brush attached to the Extension Wand. SEE: How to Turn Your Upright into an Awesome Hardwood Floor Vacuum
The 70210 Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind is not what I would classify as one of the Best Vacuums for Hardwood Floors but it does do a very decent job when used the way I described.
- 5 Position manually adjustable Beater Brush is a feature which I consider very important.
- Engage/Disengage Selector Pedal that allows you to disengage the beater brush when vacuuming hard floor so the brush doesn’t fling dirt and debris out the back. This is also an excellent feature to have when you want to vacuum a light weight mat or throw rug so it doesn’t get tangled up.
- Auto-Disengage Brush Roll when you raise the handle to the upright position. This allows you to use the extension hose and attachments without the brush rubbing on your carpet and I think every upright vacuum should have this feature!
- Auto-Rewind for the 27 foot long power cord is another feature I have really appreciated on my old Hoover. Hoover has about the most dependable auto-rewind system available.
Fold-Down Handle is a very unique feature which makes for easy storage.
- Easy Access to clean the brush roll and change the belt when it eventually wears out.
- High-Capacity cleanable Charcoal Filter that absorbs the smelly pet odors. Washable HEPA filter that does a good job of trapping allergy causing pet dander and dust mite feces and saves you money not having to buy a replacement.
- System Check Indicator alerts the user when the rinseable filter, HEPA and Carbon filters need to be cleaned or checked. This can also alert you to a blockage which is common when vacuuming clumps of pet hair.
- The Turbo-Tool has molded rubber-like blades instead of bristles that really does an excellent job of removing pet hair from upholstery and carpeted stairs.
- Power Controls are at your fingertips where they should be! This may not seem like a dealmaker for you but this feature allows you to keep your attention on your cleaning and not have to look away for the switch like many other vacuums.
- No-Scuff Bumpers help protect your furniture.
- Built-In Dirt Finder utilizes Sonic Technology that lets you know when you are vacuuming up dirt or if you are wasting time vacuuming clean carpet.
- Heavy at 18.7 lbs. The Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind UH70210 is a full-size vacuum with full size performance and capacity. This could be an issue if your house is multi-level or for someone who is physically challenged. The Hoover WindTunnel Air Steerable UH72400 would be a better option weighing only 13.2 lbs.
- A lot of customers complain that the extension hose is too short at only 8 feet fully expanded and that it can cause the vacuum to tip over. SOLUTION: All you have to do is simply turn the vacuum to face you while you are using the hose and it won’t tip over. Another solution is investing in an extension hose (Available Below) that allows you to park the vacuum in the middle of the room and be able to reach every corner of a large room and top to bottom of stairs without tipping it over.
- Some customers complain that the Dirt Bin isn’t handy to dump. This is a common complaint with Bagless vacuums and is usually the result of over filling. However as is pointed out in the Video, dirt, debris, and hair can get stuck around the cyclone in the dirt bin, but a simple stick or coat hanger easily removes it.
- Some customers complain that the Auto-Rewind feature allows the cord to exit the vacuum near the bottom which can get under foot. If you Read the Instruction Manual you will see there is a little hook or clip on the back of the vacuum just below the handle. This will keep the cord out of your way.
Thoughts and Recommendations
With the Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind UH70210 you get a darn good vacuum cleaner for your hard-earned money! No, it’s not the latest/greatest, but it has very strong suction that will do a very good job of removing pet hair from your carpet and hardwood floors.
My old Hoover WindTunnel has seen a lot of hard use and has never let me down. Of course, that’s no guarantee you will get that much service from the Hoover Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind UH70. The basics, including the motor, haven’t changed so with a little care yours should last you a long time also.
My personal experience with my old Hoover WindTunnel is that the cleaning performance is as good as my expensive commercial vacuum and many of the new full-size uprights currently available.
All considered the Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind UH70210 is still one of the top rated pet hair vacuums priced under $150 and represents excellent value.
Better choices would be the newer Hoover WindTunnel 2 Whole House Rewind Bagless Corded Upright Vacuum UH71250 or the Hoover REACT Professional Pet Plus UH73220PC . Both are excellent pet hair vacuums with more up to date features and longer warranties.
If you want a tried and proven product the Hoover UH70210 would be a good choice!
Also SEE: Best Vacuums for Pet Hair